*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078301-Red
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · History · #2078301
One of the most vivid dreams I have dreamed. The town has decided to take a stand.
1087 Words
Red



We are in the gathering area of the town just inside the keep of the castle, this is where all the important meetings are held. One by one, we stand as one in support of each other. There was a call by the King in particular because he does not like it when you defy him. We as a collective group have had enough and thought it is time for a stand. The King is not happy with the people of Hammerton, there is judgement to come for those particular individuals named. Usually, the outcome of this type of event is death and everyone in the audience knows this.

Standing on the cobble stones, the crowd looks up at the stage area with my daughter standing in front of me who I am holding onto for dear life. There is the feeling of fear everywhere in each of us, we are breathing it in like a drug we all cannot escape from. I know that this not going to be a happy day for us, I can feel this in the depth of my being. My husband, Red is up on the stage talking to all of us and it is difficult to hear him where are; I know he is telling people truth that they need to hear and what is going to happen because we all know why we are here. We have all been fighting the King in every way that we can because what he wants us to do is not right we are being treated like slaves and we know this will never stop if we do not do something. As a group it has been decided together as a town we are standing for us and the future for our children so this has brought us all here today.
A short stocky man approaches the back of the crowd and reads out loud from a scroll, "Here ye! Here ye! By the power of his majesty everyone who was not called to be here must leave at this time. The ones who are called must stay. Red and Sarah, Jacob, Tiny T, Jeb, Dusty, Baker, Trey, Sonny, Buddy, Elrick, and John B.” All those named are mostly men except two kids and I am the only woman.

Majority of the crowd stampedes towards the only way out with fear and worry because they all know what the outcome of the events of the day entail. Fear and panic come over me for my daughter. I decided that if we are going to die, she will live so I push her as hard as I can into the throng of people leaving. She did not understand what I was trying to do because she fell on her knees and was not going to get up and told her, "Go Cassie. You must go with everyone else." This is the hardest thing I have had to do in my life.

She did what most kids do when they are told to do something they do not want to do, gave a big sigh and stood up walking very slowly dragging her feet towards where all the others have gone. I watched my beautiful precious blond child walk away from me and knew I would never see her again. As soon as she crossed over the invisible separation line the portcullis fell down just missing her. I walked towards her, with my hands clasping the bars telling her, "Mommy loves you Cassie. You need to go with these other people right now." I gave her one last kiss goodbye. I was grateful to see our neighbour Doris come up and put her arm around my Cassie and lead her away.

I am feeling overwhelmed with so much emotion. There is so much anger towards my husband because if he hadn't led this revolution than we would not have been in this situation at all. I would still have my daughter, my home, and my life. I walk towards the stone wall and lean my back on it and slide myself down to the ground with tears streaming down my face, the overwhelming feelings are being released. I cry because of the pain of what we have endured and loss that is going to happen. I cry because the loss of my daughter hurts more then anything I have ever known. I cry because my family has had to make some tough decisions not just for ourselves, we needed to also include the rest of the town because we all agreed we are all in this together. Together we will all either prosper or parish. My daughter will not have her mother. I will not see my little girl grow up and get married. These feelings are selfish I know.

Sitting there with my face buried in my knees as I am crying my heart out I see some movement flicker out the side of my eye, looking up to I see the crowd part like the parting of the Red Sea. Someone in the crowd must have told Red I was crying and he jumped down off the stage and if you were in his way you were tossed on the ground like a piece of paper. In this moment nothing else mattered to me except the love I have for my husband Red. I see the worry lines creasing on his face as he is barreling towards me like chicken with its head cut off. Feeling overwhelmed with emotion I feel the gentlest hands around me and all I can say, "She is gone. She is gone."

Red looks at me with this look of loss and pain because he knew what I meant and also what I did and he holds me and starts to cry as well. Together sharing in the release of emotion for a moment the two of us exist in our reverie. In this moment I realize that being with my husband is the most important decision. I love him more than anything, he is my soul mate. Everything he has been doing has actually been for the benefit of all people and our country and no one else has stepped up to contribute as he has; I love him for who he is. As he holds me I realize that he is my soul mate and forever I will be with him. He finally says to me, "Love, it will be alright. I love you."
© Copyright 2016 TJ Marie (snow_hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078301-Red