*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079854-The-Rabbit-and-The-Elf
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2079854
A lost rabbit makes for an unlikely encounter - written for "The Dialogue 500"
“Excuse me? Ahem, excuse me there? No, not over there, down here! Oh this is so tiresome. HELLO!”

“Hell- OMG! What on Earth… Are you real?”

“Of course I’m real. Did you really just say ‘OMG’?”

“Oh My – What – Are you an elf?”

“Why do people always ask that? Of course I’m an elf. What do you think I am? A giant? A kangaroo?”

“No, it’s just, well, I’ve never seen an elf before. I mean, not in real life. Ooh, can I take a selfie?!”

“You can but it won’t do you any good.”

“Why not?”

“Because we don’t show in human pictures. I could give you an elfie, I suppose – that’s the elf equivalent, but it would be so small,
you wouldn’t be able to see it. Here”

“Oh yes, I see what you mean, it’s tiny. ”

“To be honest with you, I didn’t really catch your attention to discuss photography – and I don’t have much time. We’re only allowed a matter of minutes to speak with humans before the connection is cut. I’m here because I need your help."

“Okay. How can I help you?”

“It’s about my rabbit.”

“Rabbit?"

“Yes, you know, bunny rabbit? Ears like this? Fluffy tail? Anyway I’ve lost him – well, he wandered off. And he was on loan you see, so I’ll be in awful trouble. But one of the birds over there said – “

“Birds?”

“Yes, in your tree.”

“You can talk to birds?”

“I don’t know why you think that’s so strange – you’re talking to an elf.”

“True”

“Anyway, one of them told me that he thought he’d seen Mike – that’s the rabbit –“

“Your rabbit is called Mike?

“Yes, what of it?

“Nothing, I just. Well, I thought an elf’s rabbit would have a more exciting name.”

“What’s wrong with Mike? I like that name.”

“Well nothing, I guess.”

“One of the birds said they thought they had seen him inside that house.”

“That house? That’s my house.”

“Yes. Oh, and the birds said, could you please put out some more peanuts.”

“Oh. Yes, I guess I could do that. If you’re an elf, can’t you just magic yourself into the house?”

“No, we can’t cross the threshold of a human home unless invited. But please hurry, I don’t have much time.”

“Oh! Right, well come in! I invite you.”

“Wow, it’s warm in this house. That’s probably why Mike came in here. He doesn’t like the cold.”

“Me neither.”

“Mike! Mike! Come on, we need to go back to the elf World – I can’t leave without you!”

“Oh, wait – I think I might know where he’s hiding – the airing cupboard, it’s the warmest place in the house. Come on. Aww, look, there he is, all curled up with the pillow cases.”

“Mike! Oh, thank you so much – you will not regret your kindness, I promise!”

“That’s no – hey – where did he go? What’s this little box? ‘One wish to be used by the bearer’….OMG….I WISH……I WISH………”

500 words
© Copyright 2016 ⭐️Jellyfish⭐️ (jennybowden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079854-The-Rabbit-and-The-Elf