*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086380-The-Fine-Print
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #2086380
“Happy anniversary, darling,” Will exclaimed. A Daily Flash Fiction Winner
The Fine Print

“Happy anniversary, darling,” Will exclaimed from the door.

Doris was in the kitchen. She looked up, a smile on her face. “Will, you remembered!”

He grinned. “You texted me but I hadn’t forgotten.”

“Well, you do get distracted.”

“Nothing distracts me from the fact that I love you.”

“Oh, you’re a smooth one, aren’t you,” she laughed.

He handed her a bag with tissue paper poking out of the top. “Wrapped it myself,” he said proudly.

She eyed it. “Looks familiar. Are you sure the grocery boy didn’t help? He leaves things sticking out of the top of my bags.”

“Quit kvetching.”

Doris moved to the couch, pulling the paper out. “You really shouldn’t have.”

“Don’t be silly. I checked and the traditional gift for 10 years is metal.”

Doris’s face clouded. “I don’t remember ‘metal’ being on the list. Where did you check?”

“Home Depot.”

Doris stared at him expressionlessly. Finally, she pulled out a box. “An iron? You really shouldn’t have,” she said emphatically.

“Totally electronic. It has all the features right at the push of a button!” he said excitedly.

“Calm down. It’s an iron.” She removed it and began to giggle.

“What’s funny?”

“It’s the fine print here.” She pointed. “Caution - iron may get hot.” She read on, laughing. “Caution – remove clothes before ironing them.”

“That’s dumber than roping a chicken.” He thought for a moment. “Actually, the thought of you ironing in the nude …” He let the sentence hang.

She laughed again. “Why Will Carson, you devil.”

He hugged her. “Well, the gift may not have been what you wanted …”

“You think?”

“But,” he continued, “I love you …”

She looked hard at him.

“without any fine print or disclaimers,” he added with a grin.

Her eyes twinkled. "Good, let's go do some ironing!"


Divider line



An entry for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Write a story that includes the words: " chicken, rope, print"
Word Limit: 300
Word Count: 300

kvetch ~ to complain, especially chronically.

© Copyright 2016 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086380-The-Fine-Print