*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2098302-The-Pocket-Watch
Rated: E · Fiction · Mystery · #2098302
Flash fiction 9/3/2016: Word Count: 258
When I was a young lad, my father would always say, "Son, let me tell you a secret. A true gentleman must always walk a fine line between pride and arrogance." I honestly never understood that statement and to this day I think my father was one of the most pridefully arrogant men I have ever known and it was no secret to anyone who knew him.
He used to carry this old pocket watch on a long silver chain. Throughout the day, he would spend more time staring at that old pocket watch and stroking the silver chain like his life depended upon it.
He was proud of this stupid watch for some reason and he made it clear that the watch was never to be separated from the chain. He treated the pair as if they were a direct line between him and God.
I don't know why he loved this watch so much but he left the stupid watch and chain to me in his will. But when I received it, the stupid thing didn't even work. I took it to the watch maker and he said it was irreparable. Then he asked me when my father had passed. I told him at 6:10pm on November 2nd. At that moment the watch maker's face went white as he sat there staring at the face of the useless watch and chain. It had stopped at the exact moment my father had died.
Coincidence? I guess I will never know because my father's secret died with him.
© Copyright 2016 Pesky Amanda A.K.A. LadyNazlia (nljones at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2098302-The-Pocket-Watch