This article includes a brief description and tips for communicating effectively.
Tips for effective communication
Communication skills are essential for any kind of business. And knowing how to communicate effectively ensures success. But it is easier said than done. Developing effective communication skills is as hard as it can get.
In order to understand how to communicate effectively, we must first know what communication skills are. Communication skills include effective communication through speaking, reading, writing and listening. However, these are not the only kinds of skills. Effective communication also deals with listening, appropriate physical reaction, and context comprehension.
Though communication skills develop over the years, many people feel that their personality traits control their communication skills.
Improving communication skills
While improving communication skills is a hard job, there are some techniques that help achieve it through practice.
1. Analyze your speaking style in terms of tone, volume and diction, and your writing style in terms of spelling, grammar, neatness and vocabulary.
2. Identify and make it a point to correct any errors when you communicate with those around you.
3. Identify your comfort and non-comfort zones
4. Implement changes whenever you can
5. Set short-term goals and strive to achieve them
6. Practice often and try to get feedback from which you can look for ways to improve
Improvement takes a considerable amount of time. So, it's important to be patient.
Why develop good communication skills?
There are potential benefits of good communication skills. For example,
1. Good two-way communication skills help in staff management in an organization. It is a form of management ability.
2. Sometimes, we may need to meet people outside the organization. In such cases, good communication skills come in handy, when you represent yourself as well as your organization.
3. Effective communication also builds self-confidence
Effects of bad communication skills
Bad communication skills result in:
1. Inaccurate messages sent and/or received
2. Important directions wrongly conveyed
3. Confusion over questions asked
4. Adversely affects performance levels
5. Breach of trust
Mastering basic communication skills
1. Verbal communication
o Ability to speak clearly and concisely
o Effectively convey messages
o Practice speaking to both groups and individuals
o Thinking about what area of communication should be improved
2. Written communication
o Use grammar and punctuations correctly
o Writing clearly and concisely
o Focus attention on the speaker
o Understand the speaker and improve your knowledge