*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2130125-work-in-progress
Rated: E · Novel · Occult · #2130125
This is a book I just started to write. Its my first novel.
It was a cold november night. The moon was hiding amongst the clouds making it dark and difficult to see. Julia was trying to be quiet as she was stalking her prey, but the quiet stillness of the forest was making it difficult. Every step she took caused the leaves to crackle under her feet. She was sure that he could hear her. This would never do. Her only chance to catch him would be to catch him by surprise. She hated that she was out there. Hated that it was her job to track him down. But it was her duty to her coven. Stray weres were dangerous and this one was extremely dangerous. He had already killed two locals. So far the mortals thought the killings were from just an ordinary wolf attack. It was her job to make sure they never found out the truth. Her coven had been protecting the mortals of this town from the evils of her world for centuries. She had been trained from birth for this. Her mother was high priestess and she was destined to take her mother’s place one day. Julias sense of duty was stronger than her desire to be free of the burden of her destiny. She hated the danger and the violence that came with protecting the mortals. She just wanted to live a normal life free from the bonds of responsibility.

Off in the distance a twig snapped. Julia turned towards the sound holding her breath so she could listen. There were no more sounds and it was too dark to see anything. She closed her eyes and focused her energy, “I call upon the power of the moon to give me sight in the darkness” she whispered. When she opened her eyes she could see the forest as if in daylight. She focused on the area where she heard the sound. Off in the distance, near the edge of the forest she could see him. A beautiful gray wolf, strong and sleek, staring back at her through golden eyes. She could see his breath as he exhaled. His lips were drawn back in a snarl and his fangs were peaking out. She could see that his haunches were raised and he was ready to strike. She had to be careful.

She was so grateful that she was not alone. Others from her coven were scattered throughout the woods also looking for this stray. She closed her eyes, but kept her body aware of the strays presence, with her mind she reached out to her coven. “ I found him. He’s on the edge of the woods. He sees me and he’s on guard.” The thought was sent to all that would be near her listening.

“I’m here, I see you and him. Don’t move.” The voice in her head was Chloe, her best friend and soon to be second in command. Chloe’s mom was Julia’s mom’s second in command and like her she was to inherit her position. Unlike her Chloe had a deep sense of duty and was prepared to take her place at Julia’s side when the time came. Chloe was her opposite, yet they had been best friends before they could even walk. Chloe’s Hair was golden and fell in long straight tendrils down to the middle of her back. Julia’s hair was auburn with long curls that seemed to be uncontrollable. Chloe had deep ocean blue eyes that could look deep into your soul. Julia’s eyes were emerald green and seemed to show her emotions. Chloe was tall and slender, while Julia was petite and plump in all the right places. Both girls had their own unique beauty. Chloe was sophisticated and responsible and driven by honor and that was why Julia loved her so much.

Another voice in her head came through “I see him too, Rebecka and I are approaching from the rear.” It was Amia, another coven member.

“He is ready to strike,” Julia sent out the thoughts hoping the were would not hear the others approaching. She was standing still in the forest watching closely at the wolf that was looking at her like she was his next meal. She could feel the energy of the moon and the forest surrounding her. She focused, trying to harness that energy to make her stronger. Slowly she reached out her hands to draw the energy towards her. Seeing this the wolf took a step closer and growling as his lips drew back showing more of his fangs. Another step and another, he was getting ready to run towards her.

She continued to draw in more energy. She could feel it flowing through her like lightning. Hoping she had enough she brought her hands in and as quickly as she could clapped her hands together sending all of that energy out in a tidal wave towards the wolf. The energy hit him, forcing him backwards. The effect was not strong enough to harm him but it was enough to hopefully buy her some time til the others could reach her. They did not want to harm the were. They wanted to capture him and bring him to the local pack. It was the witches job to protect the humans and keep peace in the area, but it was the packs responsibility to deal with strays.

The wolf steadied himself, shook his head and body trying to regain his sense, and then growled and sprang towards Julia in a full run. He was now angry and hungry and he was headed right for her.

She wasn’t sure if she would have time to act but she knew she had to try so she started to pull the energy around her back in. The wolf was too quick for her he launched at her and knocked her down. She tried to push him off, but he was too strong. His open jaw was inches from her face. She closed her eyes reading herself, hoping her coven would be there in time.

Then she felt the wolf being pushed off her. When she opened her eyes she could see another wolf. Bigger, than the one that they were trying to capture. He was tan and beautiful. The two wolves were squaring off ready to fight. She could feel the energy radiating off both of them. Two strong powerful wolves ready to take each other down.

Julia felt a hand on her shoulder, “Get up.” It was Chloe,”Are you ok?” Chloe helped Julia to her feet.

Julia brushed herself off, turned and Hugged her friend,”Yeah, I’m ok, a little shaken and bruised, but I’m ok.” She turned around and saw Rebecka and Amia and two of her coven members in a circle around the two wolves. They were chanting, calling upon the elements to aid them. The wind started swirl around them. Chloe and Julia joined them in the circle and began to chant with them. The wind picked up and circled around them faster carrying leaves and debris with it. The stray wolf started to stagger and shook his head he tried to fight whatever was happening to him. The other wolf stayed poised and ready. The stray staggered to the left then right and then fell over on its side. It tried to get up, but it was too weak. He struggled to fight the spell but the witches were too strong and finally his fight was over.

The wolf lay there silent and still, his belly raising and lowering as he breathed. The witches were able to put him into a deep sleep, but it wouldn’t last long. They needed to act fast.




© Copyright 2017 Jodilynn (jodilynn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2130125-work-in-progress