Happy New Year in Chinese poetic frame.
Chan monk on knees, hands in earth.
Boy asks, "What will New Year bring?"
Monk's head bowed in thought, "Sweet Peas,
I plant seeds, to bloom in Spring."
Judi Van Gorder
Chan is zen in Chinese
Third Place Jan 1, 2018-Jan 15, 2018 Oriental Poetry Contest
Ch'i Yen Shih , the elements of which are:
1. stanzaic, written in no more than 3 quatrains, usually only 1 quatrain.
2. measured by 7 characters per line which in Chinese are mono-syllable words but could be words of more than one syllable when translated in English.
3. Usually written with a caesura after the 4th word in a line.
4. rhymed. Rhyme xaxa xbxb x being unrhymed.
5. always written with parallels and balance.