*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2157419-A-First-Date
by pfryan
Rated: E · Short Story · Religious · #2157419
A minister and a young man
A First Date

When Jane and I had our first date, we agreed to meet at the house of a mutual friend, Krystal.

I was a bit surprised when the two of them introduced me to Krystal's parents. Her father was a minister, so I was on my best behavior.

Mr. Faulk wants to save your soul,” Jane whispered in my ear.

Oh my gosh. Why me? I considered this a personal intrusion.

“Is this the only reason you agreed to go out with me tonight?” I asked Jane.

“Of course not, silly. I just want you to be happy.”

“Well, I'm pretty embarrassed right now.”

A lady my parents' age came out of the kitchen wearing a spotless white apron. “Are you kids hungry?”

“Yes, ma'am.” Krystal and Jane responded.

"How about you, Sean?”

“Sure, I could eat.”

“Wonderful! I hope you like pot pies. We have chicken, turkey and beef.”

Sean could hardly believe the trouble these people had gone to so they would feel right at home. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been this hungry.

Jane and Krystal ate quietly while Mr. Faulk engaged Sean in conversation.

“You're a young man with a healthy appetite, Sean. I like to see that.”

“Thank you, sir, for all this hospitality.”

“It's been our pleasure, Sean. As a matter of fact, there's someone else who wants to get to know you just as we have.”

“Who's that?”

“Do you know Jesus, son?”

Sean had to clear his throat. “I guess I know of him.”

“Tell me what you know, Sean.”

“Well, he was in reality the Son of God. But, then people put him to death for that. That's the part I don't understand. It doesn't make any sense that He was hated that much for being good.”

“Unfortunately, that was a part of human nature way back then. Today, too. Some people believe in him and some don't.”

“That's not really a good thing, is it?”

"There's good and bad people in the world, Sean. It's a choice we have to make. Do you know why Jesus died on that cross, Sean?”

“He didn't have much of a choice, I guess.”

“Sean, Jesus chose to accept His Father's will for Him to die this kind of death for the sake of the entire human race. And, this includes you, son.”

“Why did he choose to die for all of us?”

“Jesus died and paid the price for our sins so that we wouldn't have to. He gave us the gift of salvation through His sacrifice.”

“Is there anything He wants from us in return?”

“God wants us to believe in His Son's redemption of the world. Our faith in Jesus opens the door to God's forgiveness.”

I'm not sure I've done anything that bad that needs forgiveness. But, I've always believed He was the Son of God. How else could He have done all those miracles?”

You're a wise, young man, Sean. I have a gift for you before you leave here tonight.”

“Your company has been good enough, sir. I've enjoyed our conversation. And, your wife is a great cook.”

Mr. Faulk laughed out loud. “Thank you, Sean. We appreciate you being here.”

He walked into his bedroom and came out with a book in his hand. It had a black cover with the words “Holy Bible” written in gold on the front cover.

“Is this for me?” Sean looked perplexed.

“Yes, it is, son. It is a wonderful way to get to know your savior personally.”

“It's a huge book. Where do I begin?”

“Wherever you like, Sean. You don't have to tackle the whole thing at once. Read slowly. If you run across something you don't understand, give me a call. We'll talk about it.”

“You'd do that for me, Rev. Faulk?”

“I believe in you, Sean. I hope you and Jane have a fun-filled evening together.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Krystal was standing at the front door. As Jane and Sean walked outside, she waved goodbye and smiled.

“I want to know how everything turns out, you two! Remember to call me, Jane!”

As Sean opened the car door for his date, Jane looked up at him. “Now, that wasn't so bad, was it?”

“I have to admit you girls did surprise me tonight. Now, I've got a surprise for you.”

Sean leaned down and kissed Jane for the first time. She smiled underneath the pressure of his lips and kissed him back.

They hadn't any idea they were being watched. Krystal and her parents were eavesdropping from their kitchen window.

“You did a good thing bringing your friends here tonight, Krystal.” Her father commended her.

“Thanks, Dad. You've made a difference in him.”

“That's what we ministers do, kiddo.”

“I'm going up to my room. I want to text Jane and tease her to no end.”

“Goodnight, sweetheart.”

“Goodnight, Dad.”
© Copyright 2018 pfryan (bjdepew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2157419-A-First-Date