*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187092-Daisy-Needs-A-Rest
by Paul
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2187092
She doesn’t understand why Daisy won’t do what she wants.
Daisy, go over there. Daisy, over there... Grampa, why won’t daisy do what I say?”

”She doesn’t understand when you point. If you kind of sweep your hand, like you’re trying to push her away it’ll make more sense to her. She’s just a little dog sweetheart. She doesn’t understand English like you do.

“But she comes when I call her.”

“Yes, sweetie, she does. She knows the sound of her name because you either feed her or play with her and she likes that. Dogs are always hungry and always want to play.”

“Can we teach her other things too so she understand us?”

“She can learn many commands, but they have to be taught with treats and a lot of patience. Remember us teaching her to go outside?”

“Yes grampa. Everyone said, “God dam...”

“...okay sweetheart, we did, but you should not repeat it. It doesn’t sound right coming from a 7 year old.”

“Does it sound right coming from a grown up? I can’t wait to grow up.”

“You are something else, Siena. Right to the heart of it. No sweetie, it doesn’t sound right coming from an adult either. It’s a bad habit most of us have copied. Try not to catch it.”

“We’ve been playing hard and Daisy really needs a rest. Can I sleep with daisy in her bed? Can she sleep in mine?”

“Which would be your choice?”

“Her bed, but mom gets mad.”

“Yeah she does. How about you and daisy fall asleep in her bed and I’ll move you both to your bed. I’ll deal with mom, she doesn’t like her in your bed either. A kid should be able to sleep with their dog. I did.”

“You’re neat. I love you grampa.”

“I love you too sweetheart.”
© Copyright 2019 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187092-Daisy-Needs-A-Rest