*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2192915-Babys-Big-Break
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2192915
SCREAMS!!! Contest Entry. ~492 Words. The fourth story in the Baby series.
"Can you explain what you saw, Mr Davies?"

The chubby middle-aged man twiddles his thumbs nervously, his arms rest atop the metal table; across from him sits Constable Eleanor Parker.

"I'm not arrested, am I?"

"No sir. Don't let the that 'interrogation room' sign outside the door fool you. This is just a quiet place to talk. Once you tell me what happened, you'll be free to go."

Davies places his palms flat on the table.

"Well, it was the darnedest thing. One moment Maureen and I were sitting there eating dinner, chatting away like we usually do. She said she was thirsty, so I got up, went in the kitchen, got her a drink and-"

The constable clears her throat.

"Sorry Mr. Davies. Could you be a little more specific about the drink?"

"Oh sure. I poured her a cold glass of water from the refrigerator and walked back into the dining room, but Maureen was, well, gone. I looked all over for her but, well, she just flat vanished into thin air!"

The constable leans forward.

"That's great, Walden. Now, what about your daughter?"

"Emmy? What about Emmy?"

"Do you think she might know what happened to your wife?"

Walden stands up.

"Now why would you go and ask me something stupid like that? What aren't you telling me?"

Constable Parker runs her hand down her face and leans back.

"Mr. Davies, I'm sorry. We found your daughter's body floating in the fountain at West-Haven mall this morning. It appears as though someone drowned her. We know you couldn't have done it because you were-"

Walden falls upon the carpeted floor.

"I've lost everything. She told me this kind of thing doesn't happen here. None of this is real, y'know? You're not a cop."

Eleanor looks down at herself, she's wearing her old high school uniform; she screams as the ground violently shakes and the walls of the interrogation room crumble away to reveal an overwhelming black void.

She closes her eyes.

▲⁂▲


Eleanor's eyes open, she's standing in the decrepit boiler room from St. Edwards, her old high school; across from her stands a mysterious feminine figure, her features obscured by the darkness.

"Hey Baby. Took you long enough to get here."

The figure's voice seems so familiar to Baby.

"Who are you?"

The figure shakes her head.

"Who do you think I am? Why do you think you are? Do you remember anything about the before?"

Baby watches as the figure steps closer, revealing a lit black candle in her hands.

"What? I don't understand."

The figure blows out the flame, runs towards the real Baby, and disappears.

She looks down at her hands as countless memories flood into her mind, memories from everywhere.

All at once she understands everything; as a half-demon, she wasn't strong enough to see what hell she'd unleashed, now as a half-human, everything is clear.

For the first time in decades, Baby's finally awake.
© Copyright 2019 Laurie Razor (laurie-razor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2192915-Babys-Big-Break