*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194048-Reporting-for-Duty
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2194048
It's hard to fit in.

Reporting for Duty


WC 281



A platoon stood in a circle surrounding the newest member. The large blue soldier stood out among the smaller blonde ones.

"How'd you get in here?" yelled one of the stiff blonde soldiers.

"I just kind of got dropped in, sir." The large blue soldier turned round and round and stared at all the stiff blonde soldiers.

"We don't take kindly to strangers!" yelled another of the smaller soldiers.

"Yeah! You have to prove yourself here! Can you pull your weight?"

"Shoulder the load?"

"Hang tight?"

The questions came fast as the stiff blonde soldiers made a tighter circle around the large blue stranger.

"You look kind of flimsy. Are you made of tough enough stuff?"

"Only the finest polymer money can buy! I assure you guys I can do any job!"

The stiff blonde soldiers laughed.

"Ha!" said one. "We're made of the finest oak trees. We'll last for years. Sailing ships were made of this wood. So we'll see if you're as good as you say you are. You're going to have your chance NOW!"

The soldiers stood at attention. A human gathered several pins to attach wet clothes to a line outside. Then the human grabbed the blue pin and said "Aren't you a nice color! I think I'll keep you in the kitchen to use on my potato chip bag. You're perfect!" Off they went to the house.

The blonde soldiers stood at ease.

"I knew he wouldn't fit in," said one.

"Yeah, couldn't take the pressure," said another.

Still another said, "Farewell, we hardly knew ya. Time to take a break, guys. I'm sure we'll be called into action soon. Smoke 'em if you got 'em."











© Copyright 2019 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194048-Reporting-for-Duty