*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220256-The-factory
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2220256
Flash fiction
It was my first day. "Put this on." I was handed a gown, a shower hat type thing, a mask and gloves. "This way." Petrie dishes, microscopes, through a wall of plastic. Strange machines with piped in fluids, baskets on a conveyor. Another doorway then "This is your department, quality control."

The conveyor came through the doorway. It led to a table. This was padded with bright orange fabric. Adjacent were three chutes; one pink, one blue, one black. "I'll do the first one with you."

A whirring told me the conveyor was in motion. A basket appeared. The supervisor reached in and withdrew the precious cargo. "Is anything missing?"

"One mouth, one nose, two eyes, ten fingers, ten toes, no."

"Pink or blue."

"Pink."

"Down the chute then."

I lifted the baby and carefully placed it in the chute. A loud cry told me it had arrived safely. There was one question I was afraid to ask; where does the black chute go?

164 words
© Copyright 2020 Odessa Molinari (omstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2220256-The-factory