*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2228074-The-Secret-Ingredient
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2228074
Flash Fiction (288-words) tale of two witches striving for eternal youth and beauty.
Word count: 288
Notes/Warnings: Mild Occult Content -- witchcraft
Summary: Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge 28 Aug 2020
Prompt: "Did you get it?"

Sounds from creaking hinges and howling winds flood the anteroom as Isadora enters Lilith’s layer. As she forces the ancient oak and iron door closed against the raging blizzard, calming silence falls upon the stone-clad room. Now, safe within, Isadora hangs her snow-laden, fleece cloak upon a gnarled wall peg, then turns toward the main chamber.

As Isadora strolls the long corridor toward Lilith’s chamber, her fingertips tickle across each stone set at waist height. She loves how the passageway seems alive as each stone glimmers with differing hues of red, orange, and yellow in the torchlight.

Isadora enters the great chamber to the sight of flames and crackling sounds from a huge wood fire housed within a massive hearth. To the hearth’s right stands a tall, slender woman dressed in a sheer, black hooded gown. The sight of Lilith applying her craft brings a devilish smile to Isadora’s luscious red lips.

In silence, Isadora watches Lilith stirring a huge cauldron filled with bubbling witch’s brew. As she draws closer, she marvels at the billowing fog rising from the swirling vat into the chimney.

“I thought I smelled you, Izzi. Did you enjoy the storm?”

“Real funny, Lil. It’s as cold as a witch’s heart on Christmas morning.”

“Tell me,” Lilith demands. “Did you get it?”

“I went out, braved the storm, and returned before midnight,” Isadora taunts. “What do you think?”

“Tell me, you vain little witch… The elixir won’t work without it. Did you get it?”

“Yes, ma’am. Three ounces of pure, powdered ambergris.”

“Where did you find it?”

“Don’t ask! Just finish the potion and we’ll be young and alluring for another three-hundred years.”

The two witches smile as the secret ingredient enters the cauldron.



© Copyright 2020 Foxtrot Victor (fvbrock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2228074-The-Secret-Ingredient