*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242400-Who-Me
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2242400
How well do you know yourself?

Who? Me?

Trapped within the empty ten-by-ten's grey walls, I shift my aching butt on the hardwood chair. Elbows digging into the table, I gaze at the one-way mirror. How long are they going to leave me here? I'm the victim.

Seems days since startling awake with someone breaking into my apartment. My heart pounding, I cradle my head as once again I hear my front door slam before light pools under my bedroom door. While retrieving my Glock, I punch 911. The toilet flushes. I race to lock the door in time to hear footsteps in the hallway. As the intruder tries the door, I pour my panic into the phone. Despite my whispers, my assailant hears me and screams, pounding on the door. I throw open the window, but before I climb through, the door splinters open. A dark figure silhouettes the hallway light. I fire two rounds and dive into the street's darkness...

Detective Harnon pushes into the room, holding two cups of coffee and a file under his arm. His rumpled shirt and bleary eyes say he's also had a hell of a night. Setting the cup of joe before me, he settles opposite, dropping the file on the table.

Ignoring his hospitality, I say, "When do I get outa here? You got my statement."

The detective takes a sip of coffee before saying, "I have something to show you." He flips over the file and nods at the picture. "That's the man you shot tonight."

I stare at the photo, my mouth unhinging, as my death mask glares back at me. From the mole on his right cheek to the two-inch scar on his forehead, we're indistinguishable. I gape at the detective.

"And your prints are identical. You wanna tell me what's goin' on?"



© Copyright 2021 Myles Abroad (mylesabroad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2242400-Who-Me