*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257886-Evergreen
Rated: E · Fiction · Friendship · #2257886
Daily Flash Fiction 9/4/21 W/C 297

Evergreen


Mandy and I wandered through a craft store. I needed some quilt fabric, just the right color to add to a project.

We walked around the fabric bolts, as I considered each choice. I had a color in mind, that certain shade of green that would become fabric evergreen trees. The cotton fabric seemed as soft as silk. I let it fall between my hands, envisioned it becoming trees on a background of white.

“Julie, how much longer is this going to take?” Mandy sounded impatient.

“Oh, I don’t know. I need to find just the right color and fabric. This quilt is a gift for John and Laurie. It has to be perfect.”

Mandy sighed, loudly, and wandered down an aisle.

There it was! The perfect choice - a batik fabric with shades and tones of greens that reminded me of pine trees.

“Okay, found it.” I turned to tell Mandy, to find that she was across the store, looking at baking supplies.

After the clerk cut my little piece of fabric, Mandy appeared at my side.

“That’s it? You’re just getting that tiny bit of fabric?” Mandy checked the label. “I/4 yard? All that time and driving all the way here for this?” Her face had a scowl.

“Is there a problem?”

“I’m little upset. I need to borrow some money and don’t know what to do.”

“How much do you need?” Mandy is my good friend, maybe I could help.

“I want to start a little bakery at home. Make some treats to sell at market. But Adam says we don’t have the money,” Mandy stated.

“I can lend you some. Would $200 be enough? You pay me back whenever. My gift to a friend’s new business.”

Her smile was all the payment needed.

W/C 297
© Copyright 2021 Queen NormaJean Greeneyes (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257886-Evergreen