*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273176-Music
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Music · #2273176
A short piece on music.
Music is one of those things that I could not live without. It can make you move and cry, dance and feel. And think.

I grew up on Kiss. My Aunt played their music constantly, beginning in the 80s and it was hard not to be in awe of the blood, and the fire and the theatrics. Time has not been kind to all their songs, but many of them are iconic and destined to live on forever.
I would eventually get the chance to see the original lineup during the early 90s and I loved every minute of it.

It was high school that would turn me into a metalhead.

Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath were all introduced to me in quick succession, and I was hooked. Over the years, I have journeyed into many of the various subgenres and found masterpieces there. Even in the more extreme genres like death metal, and black metal. I was never exclusive to genres of metal and nor was I exclusive to other genres of music. I enjoyed grunge and classic rock, and even if I would never have admitted it during my teens, pop music.

Now that I’m older, my music tastes are much more varied and songs that I once could not stand will often play magical moments of nostalgia through my speakers.

My grandmother was obsessed with Elvis Presley. Her house was a shrine to him. Later on, when she was sick with Alzheimer's and her memories faded, she could still sing every Elvis song.
Growing up, my Kiss loving aunt and my Elvis worshipping grandmother lived together, so whenever it came time for a visit, I always hoped I would end up listening to kiss records and not have to watch another Elvis movie. At the time I hated him, though now I can acknowledge he is The King.

For a long time, Metallica, for me, was the best band of all time.

They would be until I heard Pantera.

Pantera was in your face brutality. And in a time when Metallica was getting softer, each new album was heavier and darker than the last. Their lead guitarist, Dimebag Darrell, would go on to become an icon in the metal community. Unfortunately, they are no longer together, however, Metallica are at the top of their game. I had the pleasure of seeing Pantera live twice in my life and I will never forget it. They became my new favourite band. I had hit my “Metallica sold out” phase.

The ’90s were a great time for metal. There was groove, thrash, alternative, death and black metal. I would read about them in magazines and watch videos of them, and save up my money to buy the CDs. Occasionally, I was lucky to see a number of them live.

It was only once I delved into the history of what I was listening to, that I was able to appreciate other styles of music. I got into blues-rock, bands like Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, which in turn led to an appreciation of the delta blues. My love of Faith No More got me into experimental jazz and as I got older and open-minded, I learnt to love Elton John, Elvis Presley and even, Robbie Williams.

I would much rather be blind than deaf, because without music, is life even worth living?
© Copyright 2022 Benjamin Black (benjaminblack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273176-Music