*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/802264-The-latest-new-law-in-Texas
by Zaring
Rated: E · Appendix · Legal · #802264
This Act may be cited as the Move Over Act. But right now, it is merely S.B. No. 193
This past spring, my friend Jimmy and I were on our way to Scarborough Faire (Renaissance Festival). I was driving my car as it was easier to park a little Chevy Cavalier than it is to park a monster 4 door Ford F250-350, tank, whatever...

Anyway, as I was coming over a hill I could see a police car. It was clear that the officer was issuing a citation. I checked my mirror and changed lanes to keep space between the officer and a moving vehicle.

Jimmy says “What did you do that for?” I told him I did it out of respect for the officer. It’s just something that my mother and father instilled in me.

(Oh, in case you don’t already know. My dear friend Jimmy is a Plano Police Officer.)

Jimmy says, “I wish that was a law! Do you know how many times a day I almost get run over.”

Well Jimmy, it’s official! Of course now that you only have like 3 days to retirement...Sorry

OK TEXAS, here are the facts. I’ll sum it up and then list all the legal jargon.

When you approach an emergency vehicle, i.e. Police car, Fire truck, Ambulance, etc. If that vehicle is off to the side with lights flashing, (regardless of what is going on) you have two options.

1) Check mirrors and separate yourself from the emergency vehicle by one lane.

2) If you are unable to change lanes, you must immediately decrease your speed to 20 miles per hour under the speed limit. i.e. speed limit 60, drop to 40 and pray the person behind you knows about the new law.

The fine? Maximum $500.00

In Houston, they are setting people up so be careful. They pull off to the side running radar. As you drive by that officer, another officer just ahead of him, will point at you to pull over and then inform you of this new law while issuing the $200.00 fine. (The person that informed me of this was doing 58 MPH in a 60 MPH. She did indeed get a $200.00 fine for not changing lanes and for not slowing to under 40 MPH! That is when I researched it and found the legal stuff below.)

The legal jargon: (This is verbatim, so please don’t rate me on this part...LOL)

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. This Act may be cited as the Move Over Act.
SECTION 2. Subchapter D, Chapter 545, Transportation Code, is amended by adding section 545.157 to read as follows:

Sec.545.157. PASSING AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLE.
(a) On approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702, an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall:
(1) vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle; or
(2) slow to a speed not to exceed:
(A) 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more; or
(B) five miles per hour when the posted speed limit is less than 25 miles per hour.

(b) A violation of this section is:
(1) a misdemeanor punishable under Section 542.401;
(2) a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $500 if the violation results in property damage; or
(3) a Class B misdemeanor if the violation results in bodily injury.
(c) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code or the Penal Code, the actor may be prosecuted under either section or under both sections.
SECTION 3. This Act takes effect September 1, 2003.

OK, well there it is...hope it’s helpful info..


Gina

© Copyright 2004 Zaring (ginafry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/802264-The-latest-new-law-in-Texas