*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/857549-A-Cruise-Ship-To-Heaven
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #857549
Ever wonder how you get to heaven after you die? A new twist on the white light theory.
My eyes were closed but I could feel the warmth of the sun on my face and the smell of salt water in the air. When I opened my eyes I was standing on the deck of a big beautiful cruise ship, sailing out in the ocean waters with no land in site. I don't know how I got here, the last thing I remember was driving down the road in my car. There didn't seem to be many people on the ship, just a few wandering around enjoying the beautiful weather. I was gazing out into the ocean when a man appeared beside me.

"Hello Traci," he said.

When I turned to look at the man I was surprised at what I saw.

"What's with the white robe and the wings," I asked. "Is there a costume party somewhere?"

"No, I'm an angel," the man said.

"Really, well that's nice and it was nice to meet you but I really have to be going."

"Where are you going to go," the angel asked.

"Any where but here," I said as I began to walk away. "No offense but you're really creeping me out."

"What was the last thing you remember before opening your eyes on this ship?"

"What does that have to do with anything," I said as I stopped to look at him.

"What do you remember, think hard," he said.

"I remember driving in my car and then I remember a terrible screeching sound, then I was here," I said. "What a minute, I was in a car accident. Oh my God that must mean I'm dead."

"Technically, not yet. First we have to check to see if your name is on the list," the angel replied.

"Your name has to be on a list to get into heaven?" The angel nodded his head. "And what happens if your name is not on the list, do you get sent to hell?"

"Sometimes, depending on the person. But usually they just get sent back to their bodies."

"So you are like my guarding angel or something."

"Precisely," the angel replied.

"Well do you have a name, I feel kind of weird calling you angel."

"My name is Larry."

"Your name is Larry," I said.

"Is there a problem with that?"

"NO, no. I just thought angels had names like Michael or Gabriel, you know something like that."

"Those names were taken," he said, sounding a little upset so I dropped the subject.

"So..Larry, can you tell me why I'm on a cruise ship bound for heaven," I said. "I just always thought you walked through a white light and that was it."

"This was the first thing that popped into your head when you got in the accident."

"I thought your life was suppose to pass in front of your eyes before you die, that's what everyone says."

"Death is different for everyone. Everyone has a different thought, something they wanted to do and never have or something they have done and enjoyed. It makes the transion easier."

"Well I always have wanted to take a cruise, but I thought it would be to the Caribbean."

"Just sit back and enjoy the ride, the white light is coming up soon."

It was beautiful as the cruise ship flew up through the heavens. We were sailing through a sea of clouds with colors shining from all directions. Then I was it, The White Light, it was as bright and beautiful and as inviting as I thought it would be.

"Ok, here we are. Please do watch your step, it's a long way down," Larry said with a chuckle as he lowered the plank.

"An angel with a sense of humor, how comforting," I said as I walked off the ship. I was walking across the clouds, it felt like soft cotton balls. "This is so cool."

"Yes, yes..come along now. Follow me to the gates please."

We finally reached the gates and they were enormous, they towered over my head and looked like they were made of glass or maybe crystal.

"Hello Peter," Larry said as he waved to a man at the gates. "This is Traci Winslow."

"Hello there Larry and hello to you young lady, I am Saint Peter."

"Nice to meet you," I said.

"If you would just give me a minute while I check to see if your name is on my list," Saint Peter said as he began to leaf through the pages of a HUGE book. "Winslow, Winslow..Oh, it seem's we've made a mistake, my list shows a Stacey Winslow not Traci."

"What does that mean," I said as I looked from Larry to Peter. "What happens to me now?"

"You'll be sent back," Saint Peter answered.

"Am I going to be ok, I mean have I been disfigured or something?" I asked. "I just don't want to go back and not be prepared for something horrible."

"You're fine, just a minor head injury and a broken leg," Saint Peter said. "Now, please drink this and we can send you on your way." A glass of wine appeared out of thin air into his hand.

"What's this," I said as I took the glass and began to drink.

"Just a little potion to help you to forget your journey here."

"But I don't want to forget, this place is awsome."

"You may remember some things but it will seem like a dream. Now you must be on your way, your family is waiting for you."

"It was nice meeting you," Larry said.

"You too. Thanks for the cruise," I said. "Speaking of a cruise, is that how I get back to my body?"

"No, actually that's the way," Peter said as he pointed down through the clouds.

"What does that mean," I asked as I looked at the grins on their faces. "What a minute..." and before I could say another word Larry and Peter pushed me off the cloud. "AHHHHH...."

"Don't be afraid," Larry yelled.

I wasn't actually falling, it was more like being lowered, kind of like being guided down by Gods hand. Then the next thing I remember was hearing voices.

"Her heart rate is coming back up."

"Come on Sis you can do it, fight." That was my dad's voice, he's the only one who calls me Sis.

I started to open my eyes and the first thing I said was, "Larry."

"No, I'm Doctor Kreegan. How are you feeling?"

"Like I've been hit by a truck," I said.

"Good, but the truck was a nice big oak tree," Doctor Kreegan said. "You had a head injury and your brain started to swell so we had to go in and relief some of the pressure."

"Am I going to be ok?"

"I expect you'll have a full recovery," he said. "Now get some rest."

Doctor Kreegan and my Dad started to leave the room. "Dad, wait."

"What is it Sis?"

"Did I hurt anyone in the accident?"

"Just yourself and the oak tree," my Dad answered. "Now get some rest."

I had to spend the next few days in the hospital. Besides the head injury and broken leg I also had a few cuts and bruises, but nothing major. It was finally check out day and I couldn't wait to go home.

"You ready to get out of here," my Dad said.

"You bet," I replied. "You know for some reason I think that after my leg heals I'm finally going to take that cruise I've always wanted."




© Copyright 2004 Lady Livak (livak at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/857549-A-Cruise-Ship-To-Heaven