*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/994492-Life-Before-the-Dawn
Rated: E · Draft · Nature · #994492
"Describe a new day" was the prompt.
The days are hot, and the nights long and hot. Summer in Texas is hot. Consequently, I adjusted my sleeping schedule to work in the yard when it's not so hot. One bright front porch light, and one super bright light from the house across the street keep darkness only in the areas of shadow. I didn't need to do much focusing for my task.

Water is more precious, since I've told the water company to automatically deduct the bill from my checking account each month. I need to be aware of my water usage. Rather than turning on the sprinkler and walking away, I decided to do the majority of watering by hand. Grass and bushes and flowers need more than the rain we've gotten this year. It's been a long, hot, dry summer.

City summer codes allow no automatic device watering of landscape between the hours of 10:00 am and 6:00 pm durign the summer months in Dallas, Texas. One may hand water any time, though I've noticed no one else following my lead. I walked out in my bare feet, turned on the water hose, and left the television showing it's best for 3:30 in the morning.

The night was black and still, the only noise an ocassional police or ambulance siren. Most of the birds were still sleeping, and did not begin their song until about 4:30 am.

There's something so special in the quiet of nature. It's there I can find my soul.
© Copyright 2005 a Sunflower in Texas (patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/994492-Life-Before-the-Dawn