*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035997-July-Watch-List
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#1035997 added August 2, 2022 at 2:49am
Restrictions: None
July Watch List
Explainer


Movies

         *Movie* Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
         *Movie* The Gray Man
         *Movie* Spiderhead
         *Movie* Top Gun: Maverick



Television

         *TV* The Dropout
         *TV* Loot
         *TV* The Old Man
         *TV* Only Murders In The Building (Season 2)



On the movie side of things, Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers was a fun, surprisingly subversive movie that was crammed full of references to both Hollywood and the old Saturday morning cartoon. File that one away under "pleasant surprise." The Gray Man was entertaining enough, I suppose, but as a huge fan of the book series it's based on, I found myself a little disappointed. It felt like they just kind of made a generic espionage thriller and a generic action protagonist out of what I think is a really compelling literary character. It was fun to watch, but I like the books way, way better. Spiderhead was a weird little movie that I'm not sure actually made sense, but kept my interest. And Top Gun: Maverick was delightful. It's a total old-school action movie and they don't make many of these anymore. Definitely worth watching if you were a fan of the original. It's a masterclass into how to do an excellent sequel.

On the television side, The Dropout was good but hard to watch because it was a little slow and the subject matter of watching Elizabeth Holmes basically destroy her own life and the lives of others in pursuit of a fraudulent invention is not the lightest of fare. Loot was fun to watch, but didn't really feel like it was offering much new to the "out of touch rich person learns to be a human being" genre. The Old Man was really slow but got good until abruptly ending. I'll definitely watch the new season and the acting was phenomenal, but it was a bit of a frustrating show. Only Murders In The Building Season 2 is a lot of fun. They found a way to continue the story in a completely different and yet familiar way that captures the magic of the first season, which is hard to do in the second season of a show.


TOP PICK: Top Gun: Maverick

© Copyright 2022 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035997-July-Watch-List