*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/408975-Participial-Phrases
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #890221
A library featuring commonly committed errors of the English language.
#408975 added February 15, 2007 at 1:06pm
Restrictions: None
Participial Phrases
Participles are verbs that also act as adjectives. Present participles are formed by adding –ing to the end of a verb; past participles are formed as though they are preceded by “have” – the perfect tense. A participial phrase consists of a participle and any related words, and it can be found at the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. Depending on the placement of the phrase and the noun it modifies, you may need to add a comma.

If a participial phrase comes at the beginning of the sentence, it should always be followed by a comma.

*Bullet* Looking out my window, I saw a bird.
*Bullet* Taking my time, I savored the meal.

If a participial phrase comes in the middle of a sentence and is integral to the meaning of the sentence, don’t place commas around it. If a participial phrase takes you out of the main flow of the sentence, then place commas around it.

*Bullet* The bird perched outside my window is a cardinal.
*Bullet* My dad, dripping wet, walked out of the rain and into the house.

If a participial phrase comes at the end of a sentence, place a comma before it, unless the word being modified comes directly before the participial phrase (or it’s part of a compound participial phrase).

*Bullet* She left the room, angered and frustrated by the pointless argument.
*Bullet* I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus.

Don’t confuse present participles with gerunds. Gerunds are verbs ending in –ing that act as nouns.

*Bullet* Reading is fundamental. (Just as you’d say, “Math is fundamental.”)
*Bullet* One of my favorite activities is reading books. (Just as you’d say, “One of my favorite subjects is math.”)
© Copyright 2007 St. Patrickraken (UN: kraken at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
St. Patrickraken has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/408975-Participial-Phrases