*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458949-Pardon-my-French-but
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1148896
If I don't write about it, I might implode.
#458949 added September 24, 2015 at 4:06pm
Restrictions: None
Pardon my French, but...
...the world is full of s***, literally and figuratively. E. coli and other intestinal related diseases have been found on all sorts of things in public, including public telephones, ATMs, computer keyboards such as the keyboards on computers in public libraries, and those makeup samples where anyone and their momma can come along and dip their fingers into. And don't forget the recent E. coli outbreak with the fresh spinach, here in America. Although the bacteria probably contaminated the spinach through means other than tainted hands, we're either not washing our hands at all, or not washing our hands properly.

On the figurative front--Since Katrina and the levee breaches, I am 100% certain that the world is full of s***. There are several things that have confirmed my suspicions, but none more than these three things: the federal government breaking its promises while accusing innocent people of fraud; middle class families falling through the cracks where housing is concerned; some people actually growing jealous of the measly compensation received by some Katrina survivors.

Too busy trying to cover their asses for the fraud facilitated by them, FEMA has been battling with the New Orleans Public Works department over some of the repairs needed to the city's street drains and street signs. Some of the workers FEMA hired, recently, to repair the drains were actually destroying some of the drains in the process of cleaning the drains, etc. When the city approached FEMA about paying for the repairs, FEMA refused, saying that the drains had not been damaged by the storm and that, therefore, they won't pay for the repairs although the damage was caused by the agency they hired to clean the drains. And FEMA is definitely full of s*** when accusing moi of fraud! Dumbass federal agency!

If I had a worst enemy, I wouldn't even wish dealing with FEMA on him/her. Dear Reader, if you have not had to deal with FEMA, I pray that you never, ever have to.

So for adding to the stress, anger, anxiety, and depression I and many others have been dealing with since the levee breaches, here is your s*** Award, FEMA:

The coveted, smelly, fly-infested award...

*Smirk2*



As for housing--affordable, liveable housing is still pretty scarce in New Orleans. More and more homes are being rebuilt, but the city still has a long way to go. And right now, if you aren't a homeowner or someone who was living in the ghetto, you're pretty much powerless where housing is concerned. Being a homeowner definitely gives you a certain amount of power in America. The first type of funding discussed for housing in New Orleans was geared toward homeowners while renters were left feeling like they were standing on rooftops as the water continued rising. No one really gives a damn about renters. Oh, wait...my bad, someone does care--the landlords who were allowed to double and triple the rents on their rental properties. So while some people would like to believe that Katrina survivors are living off the federal government, rental assistance is being cut. But the cuts certainly aren't causing the landlords any concern. Nope, they're not even batting an eyelash as long as they're allowed to charge sky-high rents. They're not worried because if their current tenants can't afford the rent, anymore, then all the landlords have to do is evict the current tenants, knowing that there are many, many more New Orleanians yearning to be home. Rental property won't sit empty for too long, these days. As for new homes, most of the new homes being built are condominiums and very expensive, single homes. There has been very little discussion of plans for rental housing and for creating affordable housing for the middle class.

So, to the landlords and developers at work in New Orleans, who only care about profits, right now, and to Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin for not consistently addressing the need for affordable housing, here's a little something for all of you:

The coveted, smelly, fly-infested award...

*Smirk2*



Last but not least, are the people who have actually grown angry and jealous toward some of the Katrina survivors who were eligible for compensation. I've seen friendships end and rifts come between families. It really is a sad commentary on mankind when this kind of thing can happen. How could anyone be jealous of someone else who lost just about everything they owned and had their lives turned upside down thanks to one of the worse man made and natural disasters to occur? It's just absurd to me. No amount of money could replace the memories my family and I created in our last home where we lived for eight years until Katrina struck. No amount of money could replace family photographs and various other treasures. And to have someone grow angry and jealous toward us certainly doesn't help us heal. Ah, well...c'est la vie.

So, to the misguided, confused haters, this award is for all of you:

The coveted, smelly, fly-infested award...

*Smirk2*



And, yet, even after dealing with all of this crap, I remain an optimist. I refuse to give up on mankind. Which will probably bring me to my ultimate downfall. Trusting in the government on all of its levels has stripped me of my life as I knew it, once already. I'm less trusting, but I still believe.


© Copyright 2015 Fictiøn Ðiva the Wørd Weava (UN: fictiondiva at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fictiøn Ðiva the Wørd Weava has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458949-Pardon-my-French-but