*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640911
Print Tell A Friend
Item #411411
Print Tell A Friend
Item #411411
What Type of "Bug" Reviewer Are You? By Lotusneko
Konnichiwa, reviewers! This month's subject is what type of "bug" reviewer you are. I also have a Tip of the Month to make reviews more helpful.

If you will, think of the items on WDC as a garden, and of reviewers as garden insects. There are a few different bugs:

1. butterfly
2. earthworm (technically NOT an insect *Smile*)
3. ant
4. ladybug
5. bee

Butterflies see the items to review as lovely flowers. Butterflies flit from one flower to the next, choosing whatever looks interesting. Never lingering on one flower, they are always moving. Their goal: to sample as many flowers as possible.

Earthworms are slow, but serious. When they find a good patch of dirt (and it takes them
a long time), they dig in and don't come out until they have re-worked every particle of dirt.

Although not afraid to venture into new territory, and able to carry much more than you
would suspect, ants are easily scattered or distracted. Ants are hoarders; they save for
later use and spend more time collecting than actually savoring the good things they have
found.

Bees know their jobs very well. Hive creatures, they are aware of the entire community,
and know each bee matters to the whole. Bees have a pollen-collecting system that runs
smoothly; and they make honey and enjoy it! Bees have a stinger, which they don't like to use, but they will if they have to.

None of these insects is better than another. They are all important to the garden. So what does all of this mean in English? *Smile* How would you know what Reviewing bug you are? I will say that I am a butterfly. I go from item to item, reviewing as I go, and am eager to move on to another item from a new user. Rarely do I find a port and go through the entire thing. I am a flitter!

Earthworms find a user they like, take their time and go through the whole portfolio, then when it is throughly processed, move on to dig into a new port.

Ants look around, mark things as favorites to review later, but do more looking than actual reviewing. They do not delete newsletters, as they are sure to get around to reviewing Editor's Picks sooner or later.

Ladybugs always bring a smile to the review recipient. A ladybug's main mission is to spread cheer and encouragement to writers. Her reviews often use different colors and
emoticons such as flowers or balloons.

Bees, which I aspire to "bee" (wow, that is really bad!) *Laugh* have a format template, or at least an A to Z review format that is tried and true. Bees know how to navigate WDC, and they review often, leaving quality reviews (honey). When I say they use their stinger, they can be honest and tell the truth to the author, even if it stings a bit.

In a future newsletter, I hope to have Bug Sigs that users can upload to their ports, and
use the images in reviews, e-mails, and forum posts! Would anyone volunteer to make some images for me? Text would say e.g., "I am a LADYBUG reviewer!"


EDITOR'S PICKS

 The Life of an M&M  (E)
A story about an M&M and her journey towards making a difference.
#1375206 by Katerina de Annika


Blessed Be  (E)
A blend of Yin and Yang, 3rd place Lexi's Poetry Challenge round 36
#1227814 by KimChi


STATIC
Daddy  (E)
Talking to Daddy — a sonnet
#1348794 by 𝔹𝕝𝕦𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕫



ASK & ANSWER

((Last months's question was: Are any of you owed reviews that you still have not received? How do you handle that? Here is some of your feedback:

LOTUSNEKO,
A good topic, thank you for a great NL. I don't offer reviews in raffles because of one of the words you used here. to help members in need of an upgrade, cheering up, or other things. -------cheering up----.

It's doubtful my reviews will cheer up anyone, and it would make me miserable if I had to point out too much. I would rather give gps for an upgrade, or a ribbon. That's why I only review from the official review request page and hope for the best.


Great letter!

esprit esprit

((Are any of you owed reviews that you still have not received? How do you handle that?))

Yes, I won a raffle bid for a port raid a long time ago. Months later, after giving the person a gentle nudge, I'm not sure if getting two half-hearted reviews constitutes a port raid. I didn't however, feel it worth my time to pursue the issue.

How did I handle this? I just stopped submitting bids for reviews in other raffles. Offering generous GPs to "bribe" people into reviewing one of my stories brings them into my portfolio. They quite often go on to read more stories, and I'll continue to give a handful of GPs if they continue reviewing with constructive comments.


Judity J. A. Buxton


This reader offered a different take on the issue, one which I had not even thought of.

As for this week's question on owed reviews, as far as I'm aware I am not owed reviews, however I do feel it quite frustrating when I ask for reviews on Plug Pages and get no responses at all.

However, on the flip side of this, I once opened a Review Room and rather naively offered
in depth reviews for free. I soon discovered that I couldn't possibly cope with the demand and my time became increasingly limited until I realized I was unable to actually have any time to write! I ended up having to close and to this day still have reviews to give. I feel guilty about this, and do try to 'clear' a few of these occasionally, but as there are quite a few so I find this daunting. If anyone out there would like to help, please do let me know!

On the newsletter, brilliant issue once again this week. I loved the Tip, it is certainly true. Your advice on not thinking reviews are beholden is good. I often find thinking this way causes me to put pressure on myself and I open up that review feeling like it is a chore. That's not good for me or the hopeful author wanting my feedback. Looking forward to the next newsletter! Suze the Rock Chic


This months's question is: Which reviewing bug are you, and why? Care you think any other WDC "insects"? Feedback on this topic and any others is always welcome.))

TIP OF THE MONTH

This tip pertains to the previous Reviewing NL by guest editor Lynn McKenzie : Fill out your bio block with at least basic info about yourself, not only a cute or witty comment. That is fun, but you remain a mystery to any reviewer looking to put your work into some context of who you are.

REVIEWING NL FEEDBACK FORUM Comments on ideas for a future
newsletter? This is the meeting place for readers and editors. Join in the discussions!

"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor

** Image ID #1269605 Unavailable **

As adults, we can usually attribute a period of boredom to something specific: a feeling of emptiness or frustration with a situation we can't seem to fix or get beyond.
Maintained by Writing.Com Support   
Created: 03-17-09 @ 3:30pm | Modified: 03-17-09 @ 3:30pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640911