*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977126-The-Cheshire-Cat
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #2214457
Here I go down a rabbit hole. What will I encounter? What will I write? Viva l'imagination
#977126 added March 16, 2020 at 5:13pm
Restrictions: None
"The Cheshire Cat"
         PROMPT: Write a short story or poem of a most cunning person with the phrase, "With the grin of a Cheshire cat".
         
         
         
         
         
         
         "I don't remember signing a Power of Attorney, or this POA, or any piece of paper," quavered the tiny, white-haired woman, "I just want my money back."
         The young officer sighed and shuffled some files on her desk as she contemplated her reply. This situation never failed to tug at her heart strings. Once again, a vulnerable senior had been duped, and the law was clear.
         "I'm sorry Mrs. Jones, I truly am. Whether you recall endorsing this document or not, it is legally binding. You yourself verified this is your signature. You gave Donna the right to handle your finances, and she claims you did so willingly. She did not coerce you. We have no proof anything criminal occurred. If she has taken some of your money from your bank account, she has the power to do it. When I questioned Donna, she assured me the money was for your benefit."
         "But what can I do now? That woman stole from me! It's not right."
         Gesturing to the trembling senior and offering her arm, the policewoman helped her to her unsteady feet.
         "I've phoned a friend of mine, she's a lawyer specializing in just this kind of situation. I believe she will ask you to reassign someone else as your power of attorney, someone you can trust. She's waiting out in the hall to meet you. Goodbye, and I wish you a speedy resolution."
         As the frustrated and confused older complainant slowly shuffled out into the hallway of the police station, Officer Brown grimaced to herself. Earlier, when she'd interviewed this Donna she could've sworn the unrepentant person smiled with the grin of a Cheshire cat.Oh, no doubt she'd swindled her poor victim, but she knew she'd gotten away with it. Sometimes, the law seemed so unfair.
(300 words)

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977126-The-Cheshire-Cat