*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978303-Rule-42
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #2214457
Here I go down a rabbit hole. What will I encounter? What will I write? Viva l'imagination
#978303 added March 16, 2020 at 8:52pm
Restrictions: None
Rule 42
         PROMPT: "All persons a mile high to leave the court." As the judge of a fictional town, create a rule 42 of your own that all citizens must abide by. Failure to do so should result in what?
         
         
         
         Joe glanced around the chamber room. To the others seated around the large conference table she seemed subdued, but inwardly she gloated. After months of campaigning on a tougher law stance and drawing upon her connections forged as a judge, she had succeeded in becoming this town's first female mayor. She wanted nothing more than to hoot and let loose in a victory dance, but she had a decorum to maintain. Image made the woman, and this woman could be as cool as a cucumber. Years of deliberating on the bench had left her with a poker face.
         "All rise for our honourable Madam Mayor."
         Joe suppressed a shiver. Tonight, Reasonable would hear her first matters of business, and she anticipated a bit of resistance.
         Her proclamation of a new town ordinance did not disappoint. Upon hearing her edict, the counsel to the council jumped to his feet, knocking a pile of papers to the carpeted floor in his haste.
         "Surely you are not serious Madam Mayor. This is a most drastic and ill-advised law. How will it be enforced?"
         "We will banish all those who refuse to cooperate. Force will be utilized if necessary to run them out of town."
         Fanning his perspiring face, the legal advisor spluttered, "But this is unheard of. You are outlawing the name Danielle? Perhaps if the women with this name agreed to a name change they could remain as citizens in Reasonable. Would you not consider this?"
         Pursing her lips as if in deep thought, but in reality creating a dramatic pause, Joe slowly nodded her head.
         "Okay, if and only if the women in question agree to a name reassignment. Gabrielle and Michelle are acceptable. No more Danielles, or their namesakes."
         Brimming with ideas and a deep desire to retain her job, the young press secretary suggested a slogan. All new laws were introduced with slogans.
         "You can still be you with a new name."
         The fledgling mayor bestowed a dazzling smile upon her minion. She liked this spin. It sounded so, well, reasonable.
         "All those in favour? Remember, I count on your support and vice versa. The name Danielle is officially forbidden. When pigs fly, and we all know that isn't likely, the ban on this name will be lifted."
         (417 words)

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978303-Rule-42