*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/982915-Glass
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2220524
My first attempt at something like this so it should be an interesting ride.
#982915 added May 6, 2020 at 5:35pm
Restrictions: None
Glass
I have never been materialistic. I find that I am happy knowing that my family and friends are healthy and enjoying their lives.

“Stuff” doesn’t mean much. Don’t get me wrong, if I happened to get a winning Lotto ticket I would probably splash out on a new bike, the latest Kindle and a whizzy bang up to the minute laptop.

When I read todays prompt, I first thought about photographs. But of course, although they are priceless in one way or another there are usually copies of them somewhere.

My priceless object is a beer glass. Not very exciting I know, but it reminds me of so many happy times when I have drunk out of it in the company of good friends and family.

It was given to me by my friend Christian, for my 50th birthday. What makes that birthday special to me is that I was working in the Caribbean at the time and unbeknown to me, my friends and my son, whom I worked with, arranged for my mum and dad to travel from England surprise me.

Bloody ell, it was a big surprise. I had an idea that my work mates would have a cake for me, but I didn’t expect my dad to be carrying it towards me!

That day I enjoyed plenty of beers out of that glass, and a lot more since. And with every fresh beer I relive that wonderful birthday.
Unfortunately, Dad is not with us anymore, but I still raise my glass to him and think of happy times.

You can’t buy memories like that.

© Copyright 2020 Toffeeman1957 (UN: toffeeman1957 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Toffeeman1957 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/982915-Glass