October     ►
Archive RSS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/item_id/1921220-Perpetual-Ruminations
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
These pages contain my thoughts, from meandering ideas and persuasions to deep cerebrations and serious mentations.

Why, for what purpose? To release my mind and set creativity free. Somewhere inside the constraints of my mind dwells a writer, a poet, an artist who paints with words. In here I release those constraints and set the artist free.

Perhaps, lost somewhere in the depths of thought, is a story or a poem, waiting to be written.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
Previous ... -1- 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next
March 29, 2021 at 10:01am
March 29, 2021 at 10:01am
Where does time go? I understand its passing is in proportion to our actions, pleasant time passes quickly, unpleasant time moves slowly. Mr. Einstein stated it the best, "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

That sums up how quickly time passes, but what about time vanishing? For example, there are still four days left to the week, so plenty of time to log in and write. But I'm busy, I'm tired, so I don't get in for a couple of days. That's alright, I'll catch up on the weekend. Those were my thoughts around March eighteenth. Now it's March twenty-ninth and my thoughts are, "Where the hell did last week go?"

Sure, I've been busy and there's a lot going on, but still, a whole week missing. Yet, I can look back at various tasks for any of the missing days. I could recount each and every one of the days but yet they still managed to slip past as if they weren't days but mere hours. I could understand it if I had been spending those days with a pretty girl, as Mr. Einstein stated, but there were also a lot of tasks that were unpleasant. Not as bad as holding y hand on a hot stove, but still not enjoyable things; still, the days vanished rapidly.

Perhaps time is speeding up? I mean, look at the global warming thing and how drastic the weather and climates are supposedly changing. Mind you, I'm not taking a side on this, not one way or the other. That our climate is changing, I believe it is. Why it's changing, I have my thoughts and opinions, but that's not the discussion here. The discussion here is time, not climate.

However, it seems to me that time is also changing, going faster and faster. I'm not talking about measurements done with clocks and timekeeping devices; an hour is still sixty seconds. I'm talking about how much can be done in the time we have. And, since we measure time the same, even though it's passing faster, we cannot see it; not until it's changed a lot.

For example, think of a candy bar that costs a dollar. As inflation grows, the price must either increase or the size decrease. But, imagine if you will, they don't make a big change. Instead, they shave off just a minute amount each week! The price still remains constant, but the candy bar decreases. However, since they are only shaving off an amount as thick as a hair each month, nobody notices how the bar is decreasing in size.

That's my theory, and that's where I'm at right now. I'm looking at it and thinking, "Wasn't this candy bar a lot bigger a couple of years ago?" But, with nothing to compare it too, I can't be sure...
March 16, 2021 at 12:26am
March 16, 2021 at 12:26am
As I wrote yesterday, I do not like Daylight Savings Time, I don't adjust to it, and it makes no sense, there are still just as many hours of light each day, we save nothing. Sure, it gets dark an hour later, according to the clock, but it also gets light an hour later.

All winter long, I wake up to darkness. But, by March, we finally get to wake up to the light of the sun. For me, it makes a big difference in my energy, how fast I wake up, and really boosts my mood. I mean, after four months of waking up before the sun comes up gets old and kind of gloomy. Then March arrives, with the sun slipping over the horizon, and by the Ide's of March, it's streaming in through the bedroom windows when the alarm goes off.

So, what do we do? We set the clocks ahead an hour so I can once again get up before the sun rises. It's like getting a small taste of something scrumptious when your super hungry, but not getting to eat any. So it is with the morning sun; it will be close to another month before I gain back my morning sunshine!

Now, to make it even worse, we have colder weather and precipitation for the next few days. It's below freezing once again, so it snows and seems like we lost a whole month with the time change. All in all, it's a bit depressing. And, why do we do it? I mean, for those who like the extra hour of light at the end of the day instead of at the start, let them get up an hour earlier, it's the same damn thing. Besides, the days are getting longer without any help from us; the sun rises earlier and sets later right up to summer.

Anyway, enough griping about the time change. I'm not going to let it get me down, even though I have a long and difficult time adjusting to it. I'm staying positive and thinking spring. In fact, while out picking up a few things at the home store today, I saw they had bicycles on display. I looked at a few and decided to get one. It's a nice way to start getting a bit more exercise and it's fun.

I even took it for a short spin around the parking lot before trying to fit it into the car to bring it home. The parking lot was clear, but it felt kind of weird riding a bike with the snow falling around me. It wasn't anything fancy, just a cheap hybrid with a bit wider tires. I liked it because it's good for riding on gravel as well as on pavement, so I can ride it almost anywhere. Of course, until the frost is out and the mud dries up I'll likely stick to riding on pavement, but once it's nicer, I'll explore some back roads and trails as well.
March 15, 2021 at 2:26am
March 15, 2021 at 2:26am
The little calendar states it's been three days but that isn't right. I suppose it's technically correct, but since I haven't gone to bed yet and it's still my Sunday night, I say it's two days since my last entry. Not that it really matters, but it's a matter of principle; especially today when they went and messed with time again.

I know, there are quite a few people who actually enjoy Daylight Savings Time. I respect your choice and if this crap is your thing, then more power to you; seriously, if you can enjoy and look forward to people messing with time, I can honestly say, I wish I was among you.

I, however, take the opposite side of the fence and say, "Bull!" Maybe, in the past, under the right circumstances, Daylight Savings Time may have served a purpose. Even so, it did not accomplish that purpose. No matter how you look at it, there is no changing time!

I state this in fact. Throughout the year, the days either get longer or shorter, and there isn't squat we can do about it. Yesterday, we had 11 hours, 47 minutes, and 26 seconds between sunrise and sunset. Today we had 11 hours, 50 minutes, and 45 seconds despite the start of Daylight Savings Time. The increase is only minutes, the same as every year and it will continue until the equinox when the days begin to grow shorter. I repeat, we did not gain an extra hour of daylight! We had three more, naturally occurring minutes of daylight only because the days are getting longer in our location on the globe.

Think about it, set the clock ahead one hour and you gain an hour? How? If that actually worked, we would constantly be setting our clocks ahead to gain more time to do the things we never have time for.

In reality, I didn't get as much done today as I should have, I ran out of time sooner. For example, even though it was only seven o'clock and I had another hour before we settled in to watch our television show together, the change made it eight o'clock so I lost that hour. In fact, I've lost an hour all day!

I actually got up earlier today, but thanks to the time change it was still an hour later. I went to bed at one-thirty, but when I got up, the time had changed so it was now an hour later and I had an hour less sleep. At seven I went out to close up the chicken, but it was now eight; she doesn't acknowledge the time change. Even now, it's my bedtime, by the display on the clock, but by my internal clock, I still have an hour left!

It will take me a week or more to adjust, but in truth, I will be off until we return to real-time. I will adjust, but it won't feel right. Why? Because last night I lost an hour and I can not gain it back until October. Maybe I'm weird, but my internal clock cannot be reset. I can adjust to different hours of wake and sleep with some time, but the internal clock continues to tick by at the same time throughout the year; I cannot alter it. I can argue this is normal, however, because animals also cannot reset their clocks. I worked in the dairy industry for a time and the cows need to be milked morning and evening at the same time, changing the clock does not increase production, it would decrease it! The same holds true for poultry and egg production.

I say, "It's time for this to end!" You may disagree, but I have known this for years and I argue, I am right in this. Don't believe me, look at the internet information, you will see the same, no argument for Daylight Savings Time but plenty against it. It's clearly shown that we gain nothing, but we lose a lot.

For those who say, "Now it's light when I get home from work." I hear you! But, it's now dark when you go to work. And, in another month, it would have been light when you get off from work anyway. If you cant handle the shorter days we have this far north, move south, but leave that damn clock alone!
March 11, 2021 at 2:22pm
March 11, 2021 at 2:22pm
I reckon I better write this now or it's going to turn to five days again.

Two days ago, when I wrote in here last, our snow was almost gone, I had most of the ice chipped away and the sidewalks were almost all dry. Even the driveway was drying out nice, but still pretty soft. We had a few places where the snow was piled that hadn't melted completely, and of course, in the thicker trees where the sun doesn't hit, there was still some snow, but the yard was all grass.

Yesterday about noon, a storm system moved in. The prediction was for a few inches to a few feet of snow, depending on where the heaviest band of the storm was going to hit. "This is a real downer, man!" I thought as I read the forecast. But, we have had a pretty mild winter and in this part of the country, March is often our most snow month. So, I moved some items inside and put others in the garage before the snow hit. I made sure there was gas for the snow-blower and prepared for the worst, hoping for the best.

By noon the snow had started, but it wasn't coming down hard at all. A few times during the afternoon it did get worse, but not for long and by four yesterday afternoon the snow had stopped. There was about an inch on the sidewalks that I shoveled off, and there was a light cover of snow on the driveway and yard, but most of it had melted as soon as it landed. "Not too shabby." I thought as I relaxed on the deck with a smoke.

By six it was snowing again, but like before, hardly any was building up. With it cooler now, however, it was sticking around and things were getting white. By seven, when I had gone out to smoke after dinner, there was about an inch where I had shoveled earlier, and maybe a couple of inches total. I didn't foresee getting much more since the storm was forecast to be out of the area by midnight. With the sun out today and temperatures at least ten degrees above freezing, both my wife and I thought the snow would be gone again by the end of the day.

However, when I went out at nine, it was snowing hard, there was at least another two inches of the stuff, and the wind was blowing it sideways. I looked at the weather app on my phone and it had not changed, so I looked at the radar and there it was, the system was rotating right above us instead of moving along its way. When I got up this morning there was at least six inches of the wet, heavy, and unwanted stuff to shovel. Everything is under a blanket of snow again, and it's looking like I'm back to ground zero for water and ice build-up on the sidewalks.

I went out around nine and cleared the worst of it from between the house and the garage, then cleared the sidewalks and the patio. It's melting, but not as fast as I'd like. I don't mind snow, it's part of the winter season, but by this time of the year, I'm always glad to see it go. The part I really don't like is the season of wet, muddy thawing between winter and spring.
March 9, 2021 at 2:28pm
March 9, 2021 at 2:28pm
How does it happen? I just don't get it, there has to be some kind of time loop or something... I wrote in here on March forth, yet I thought I had only missed a couple of days? Let's see where the days went, shall we?

Friday I was pretty busy working out in the garage and in the yard. We have a terrible ice build-up and with the warm temperatures, the snow and ice are melting fast. That's great, except we live on a hill and most of the melt-off is running down the sidewalk where it refreezes at night and makes a treacherous walk in the forenoons. Friday I chipped a trench so that most of the water would flow to on point and not all over the sidewalks. I also had to do some cleaning in the garage and organize things and discovered that the water was also seeping into the garage under the overhead door. This froze and when I hit the opener, it bent the support that attaches the chain to the door.

So, I trenched a bit in the frozen gravel so most of the water could drain away from the garage door. Then I pulled the support off and tried to straighten it. Of course, it wouldn't ever be perfect again, but it did straighten pretty well. I also fabricated a bit of a brace to put inside of the brace to help keep it from bending again. Finally, I sprayed some oil, cooking oil to be precise, on the rubber seal of the door so if it did get wet and freeze, it likely wouldn't freeze down tight.

By this time, it was getting late and I called it a day. I made dinner, relaxed, and was planning on logging in here later in the evening. But, I was tired and sore from all the chipping and shoveling ice chunks, so I ended up going to bed and left my blog for Saturday.

Saturday we headed over to my mother-in-law's for the day and helped her out with some stuff. We had planned to be home by late afternoon, but we had a late start, and then she insisted we stay for dinner. My sister-in-law was also there and also wanted us to stay. In fact, she tried her best to convince us to stay the night. But, we had things to get done and had to be home. Even so, we didn't get home until almost ten and I was again tired and ready for bed.

Sunday was spent getting more work done outside, busting up some ice, and trying to get more water away from the sidewalks. We also did a bit of shopping, made a nice dinner, and then just relaxed for the evening. I was still pretty sore from all the ice chipping and working out in the mud and slop, so I ended up tired and ready for bed about the time I should have been logging in here.

Yesterday I moved some furniture and shampooed half the living room so we could put down the area rug my mother-in-law gave us. She had purchased it for her living room, but once it was down it was too small and didn't go with her decore very well. So, she had purchased a bigger one and had no use for the other one. She needed to get rid of it and insisted we take it home and enjoy it.

It's nice, fits in the side of the room we have the desk and goes well with our miss-matched style. But, before putting it down, I wanted to get the carpet cleaned. But, it will take two of us to move the bigger furniture so I settled on doing this half since I could manage moving everything on this side by myself. After, I put fans on and set about getting it dried. Meanwhile, I worked on getting rid of some more ice and putting my ice fishing stuff away for the season.

I didn't have any way of drying my pop-up fish shelter, but with the patio cleared and dry, I was able to set it up for a few hours in the sunshine while I waited for the carpet to dry. While that dried out, I took my wife's new bike out of the garage and set about putting the lights, mirror, and speedometer on it. By the time I finished, the girls were home from school and it was getting on to be time to start dinner. But, the house was a disaster with everything moved, so I had to put the area rug down and move things back to get the kitchen empty. Then dinner, after which, I put the pop-up shelter away, put the bike back in the garage, and then came in and relaxed for a while in front of the television. I fell asleep in my chair...

Now, it's been a pretty easy day so far, but I'm not chancing it, I'll write this now just in case I can't stay awake later.
March 4, 2021 at 9:48pm
March 4, 2021 at 9:48pm
It was another beautiful Minnesota day, sunny, light breeze, and warm temperatures; this time of year anything over thirty is nice, but we must have hit forty this afternoon. I spent the morning working in the house rearranging a few things and doing a tad of spring cleaning. Then it was a light lunch and outside for a while. We still have some snow that's melting and a lot of ice built up around the buildings.

I cleared the rest of the snow away from the house, which should cut back a little on the ice we keep getting over the sidewalks, but until the ice that built up over the winter melts, we are going to have slippery walks. If I had known how much ice was going to build up, I would have kept the snow cleared back from the house more, but even then, most of it is from snow melting on the roof, running onto the ground, and then freezing.

I did chip away a bit more of the ice, but most of it's too thick to bust loose. So, I ended up chipping a trench to channel some of the water to one area of the sidewalk instead of it melting and coating the majority of it. It should help a lot, but there's still quite a build-up on each side of the sidewalk between the house and garage that's going to continue to melt onto the walk. Hopefully, if the warm weather holds, most of it should melt off this weekend. If the sun was a bit higher, it would speed up the melting a lot, but unfortunately, it's on the north side of the house and pretty shaded.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer yet, so I'd like to work on a project out in the garage. Anything but more shoveling snow and ice, and especially chipping it away. I can't believe how stiff and sore my arms are from working at this most of the week. I'm definitely out of shape!

That's another activity I want to start now that the weather is nicer, going for an afternoon walk. I need to take off a few (quite a few, plus a few more) pounds, and walking sounds like a good start. I've already cut back on how much I eat, but I'm not seeing much for results since I haven't been doing anything much for exercise. But, that's another topic for another day.
March 3, 2021 at 11:46pm
March 3, 2021 at 11:46pm
Barely made it in here today, only a half-hour left.

I had another busy day. It was super nice again, almost forty degrees out. The snow is melting fast and it's making a mess with all the ice build-up we had this winter. We would get some warmer weather and things would melt, but then it would turn cold and create a lot of ice. The end result is a lot of ice-damns so no place for the run-off to drain and with the ground still frozen, it pools up, refreezes, and backs up even more.

So, with the thawing temperatures, I've been shoveling back some of the snow and chipping away at the ice. I'm talking six to eight inches of ice build-up in places, especially where the house and garage roofs drain. I saw yesterday that we had water backing up into the garage, and of course, it's cold enough at night to refreeze, which freezes the overhead door down

In the process of it trying to open, the opener has bent a couple of the supports on the door, so today I set about straightening them and trying to reinforce them a bit. I managed to get them pretty straight and hopefully reinforced enough to hold, but if not, I'll have to go pick up some angled steel and reinforce them more. Once that was done, the next logical task was to try and get some of the ice and snow back from the doorway. I managed to get about four feet cleared out, but the melting is still draining towards the garage. I also trenched a bit so that the majority of the water drained into the yard, but the ground is frozen too hard to trench it properly.

It's good for now, but it's looking like I have a few projects to work on besides the current list. Now, just waiting for the ground to unthaw so I can get started. I also have to replace some deck boards, but that will wait for warmer weather still.
March 2, 2021 at 2:29pm
March 2, 2021 at 2:29pm
I planned on writing in here last night after everyone went to bed, but I was too tired and went to bed, too. So, here I am getting this written while everyone is gone and I have some time to myself.

I finally got out ice fishing over the weekend. It's kind of ironic, our fishing season ends at the end of February and I managed to fish the last two days. Now, I need to get a new license to go back out. It's also ironic that I had to put off going out because of frigid temperatures and arctic windchill and can't go out now because it's too warm.

Well, I could go out, but I would have to pull all my gear and that would be difficult with the snow melting and the ice being slick and wet; too slick and wet to drive out there I doubt I could get back off the lake because the approach is a pretty steep incline. This is one of the times when I could really use four-wheel drive. Of course, even better would be a four-wheeler, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Did I catch any fish? No! In fact, the first day out, Saturday, I drove out to a likely spot, set up, and got ready to fish. That's when I realized I had forgotten to get my tackle box out of the garage. I had everything else ready to go and loaded in the pickup on Friday but had taken my tackle box out to put a few things in. And, then I left it sitting there on the counter. Luckily, I had one hook in this knot-tying gadget I had bought and attached to one of my fishing poles, so I at least was able to fish.

Even though I had forgotten tackle and didn't catch anything, I enjoyed myself and was out for about three and a half hours. I didn't head out until after my wife and two girls had left for the weekend, so it was after one in the afternoon when I got going. It was a cold day, only in the teens and pretty windy, but I got the pop-up fish shelter put up without any problems and once inside, was comfortable. By two-thirty, it was getting colder and I started up my portable heater and fished, with one hook, in just my Writing.Com hoodie I purchased in January.

Sunday I went out earlier since nobody was home and the family wouldn't get back until about four. It was another cold day, barely in the teens, and even windier. I had a little more trouble getting the fish shelter set up, it wanted to blow across the ice, but I was prepared and had an anchor ready to secure it once I had the sides popped up. I put in a couple more, securing three sides so the wind couldn't blow underneath, and set up for some afternoon fishing. I was pretty cold when I got inside, but once the door was zipped shut, it warmed up nice from the sunshine without starting the heater.

I fished and relaxed, enjoying the afternoon, but around one-thirty again, the sun was too low to keep the shelter warm and I had to start the heater for a bit. I fished, drank some coffee, and enjoyed myself. I finally decided I should head in around four-thirty. I took my time putting things away, but once I stepped out of the shelter, I froze my caboose. The wind had picked up and the temperature had dropped even more. But it didn't take long to put things in the truck, only about five minutes to take the shelter down and stow it, and then I was in a nice warm truck, which I had started as soon as I came out of the shelter.

I'm hoping to get out some more, but not sure when. Today and most of the week is going to be very warm, getting up to fifty tomorrow. I do have cleats and a sled I can use to pull everything out, but it's going to be a sloppy mess on the ice. Hopefully, we get some cooler weather so I can get out a few more times yet this winter.
March 1, 2021 at 1:05am
March 1, 2021 at 1:05am
And again it's been five days! How is that possible, I only skipped a couple? And so it goes, I take a couple of days off from writing in my blog and it multiplies to five. I just don't get it...

But that's beside the point. I've been busy, I finished up most of the projects going on in the house with my last entry, but still had a few things to do in the garage. I had planned on leaving them for another day and getting out ice fishing, but things don't always go as planned. In fact, it's been my observation that things tend to go any which way but as planned, especially over the last year.

So, what exactly did happen that I missed five days instead of just a few? I really don't know, honest. I just got busy and before you know it, five days are gone.

It all started Wednesday when I had to take my wife to work, then pick her up and take her to some medical tests. I tend, as you can see, to stay up pretty late so I can have my time here without interruptions and distractions. So, Tuesday even though I tried to get to bed a bit earlier, ended up a late night for me. I tried to go to bed early, but I couldn't sleep because I got used to being up late.

But I still was up early Wednesday to see the girls off to school and to get my wife to work. Then, since I couldn't go out fishing without risking being super late to pick my wife up, I decided to get a start on the garage. I mean, how long can it take to clean out and organize a garage?

See, our neighbor, a very nice fellow, gave me a base cabinet and countertop to put in the garage for storage and a workbench. But, I needed to clean and reorganize the garage to make a spot to put it. I had it all planned out in my head, I just needed to move things around a bit after I cleaned it up.

But, as I said, things don't seem to go as planned very often. So, I cleaned and moved things a bit and then measured the area that the cabinet was going to go into. It didn't fit. I had to move a few more things, which of course meant I had to clean them off and out as well. But, that didn't work as well as I had planned, either. So, in desperation to get things to at least make room for the cabinet before I had to stop and go get my wife, I had to pull everything out of the back of the garage and start all over with my planning. By the time I had everything moved, it was time to stop, wash up, and then take my wife to her tests.

The garage was a disaster, but I had everything moved to bring the cabinet in. The problem was, first of all, I didn't have enough room to bring anything into the garage. The second, it was starting to snow and the car was sitting outside. Now, a little snow isn't going to hurt the car any, but my wife had to go to work in the morning, which meant she would have to go out earlier to clean the snow from the car. Sure, she could do that, but I didn't want my project to make more work for her, so I needed to get things figured out. I did this planning while she was getting her test done.

After we got home, I spent a little time with her then headed to the garage to get things set so I could bring the cabinet in. The only way was to move some of the stuff outside and open up a corridor to bring the cabinet in. I moved the car back some and moved items from the garage outside and soon enough had enough room to bring the cabinet in. Next, I swept up the area where the cabinet would sit and then started the pickup so I could go get it.

By now, it was getting late, getting dark, and getting on to be dinner time. I drove over to the neighbors and guess what? Yep, he was gone; no way to get the cabinet now. So I drove back home, parked the pickup, and set about hauling things back in. While I was hauling, I made sure I left the room to bring the car in for the night, so I had to put a lot of the stuff in the area where the cabinet was going to go. Yeah, you see where I'm going, don't you?

I did get things back in, I had room for the car and parked that, then came in just in time to eat a late dinner. I was beaten, I was tired, and of course, working in the garage, I was dirty. But, after dinner, both girls needed to take showers and or baths for school, so I had to wait to get my shower in. By the time the water heated back up, everyone was in bed and as soon as I was done, I went to bed and collapsed into a deep slumber.

The next day I woke up so stiff and sore, I could barely drink my coffee. But after everyone had left for school and work, I got busy measuring and figuring out a new plan. Then, I saw the neighbor come home and was just about to go over and talk to him and get the cabinet when my phone rang. I had to run to town to pick up prescriptions. I wasn't going to miss the neighbor again, so I jumped in the pickup and went to get the cabinet. Of course, the neighbor likes to talk and visit, so it took a bit before I left.

Not that I mind, I enjoy visiting with him and he always has a good conversation. But, after a bit, I told him I had to get to the pharmacy and left with the cabinet in the truck. After I got back home, I unloaded the cabinet and got it set into place. Now I could measure and figure things out for sure to know where everything would fit. Of course, it took a while to figure it all out and by the time I had a new plan, the girls were home from school. I finished up my planning and figuring and came inside to spend a bit of time with them.

After visiting with the girls it was time to start dinner, which got done right about the time my wife got home. I had thought about just leaving the car outside since the garage was once again a disaster, but guess what? Yeah, it started snowing again right after the freezing sleet. I enjoyed dinner with my family, but they went back out to finish up in the garage so I could get the car inside for the night. Everything fit as planned, but it still took a while to move everything, so it ended up another late night.

But, I had the job done! Well, most of it; I still have a few things to do, but not until it gets warmer out and we can move a few things outdoors. For now, however, the garage is done. The car came back in and I could finally go out fishing. But, I was exhausted from too much work and too little sleep, so I took a day off just to putz around the house and rest up. Besides, my back was very tight as well as my whole body being sore from doing so much.

Yesterday I finally got out on the ice and fished for a while. Again, things did not go according to plan, but that's a tale for another day...

February 23, 2021 at 12:56am
February 23, 2021 at 12:56am
It was another beautiful winter day for Minnesota, the snow was melting and the sun was shining most of the day. I didn't get to enjoy much of it, I was finishing up some work in the house. I thought about putting it off and going out ice fishing, but it was a bit windy for setting up my pop-up shelter, so I stuck to the plan and got it done. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty nice as well, but we have a chance of a lot of snow and freezing rain. That's alright, I have to drive my wife around for some medical appointments, so I won't have time to head to the lake anyway.

Well, I say it's alright, but not if we get a crap-load of snow on top of ice; that's never any good. But, I'm thinking we won't get a lot of snow. But, with the temperature just dropping below freezing right now, it could be icy driving come morning. I'm glad I decided to listen to the guy at the garage when he suggested I put good snow and ice tires on the car for the winter, they have helped a few times now. Seriously, I wasn't going to, I had planned to go with all-season tires, but he convinced me and I cannot believe the difference they make on icy roads and pulling the car through deep snow.

I also have some work to do in the garage tomorrow, if my wife is up to helping me move a few things after we get back home. I have a couple of items that I just can't handle by myself that need to get moved out of the way so I can put install a work cabinet. Most of the stuff I need to rearrange I can do by myself, but there are a couple that are just too awkward to move alone. The hardest part is trying to figure out how to organize everything so I can get the car back in when I finish.

That leaves Wednesday to get out fishing, but the snow and freezing rain extend into Wednesday as well. Again, I don't think we are going to get much, and if it's icy Wednesday morning, I can wait until the afternoon to go out, once it's warmed up enough to melt off the ice. I'm staying optimistic and looking toward the brighter side.
February 22, 2021 at 12:12am
February 22, 2021 at 12:12am
It was a beautiful winter day here in Minnesota, we had mild wind, a little snow, and temperatures above freezing. I cleaned my pickup off from snow and started it for the first time in a couple of weeks. With the bitter cold, I didn't need to use it, so there was no reason to start it. It turned over fine, but after two weeks of arctic cold, it didn't want to start right away. But, it did fire and then start, running a bit rough for a few minutes, but then it was fine. I shoveled out the area around it and then we hauled the recyclables.

Being so nice out, I kind of wanted to get more outside work done, but I also wanted to finish up the work we had been doing inside. Also, after working pretty hard the last five days, it was kind of nice to take it a bit easy today, too. Tomorrow is supposed to be equally nice, so I will get some more of the outside work done and get myself set up to get out ice fishing. I have a pretty full schedule for Tuesday, so I'm looking at finally getting out on the ice Wednesday. But, if I get done sooner tomorrow, I may venture out for a short excursion tomorrow, and possibly make it out for a few hours Tuesday. I'll leave both days open if time permits.
February 20, 2021 at 1:14am
February 20, 2021 at 1:14am
Another good day, warmer temps, and getting quite a bit done. It's still not warm enough to do much outside without dressing up in forty pounds of clothing, but it hit nine degrees above zero this afternoon and it's still one degree above zero at midnight. Tomorrow should get up to twenty and Sunday almost thirty. As of right now, most of next week should see us at or above freezing!

I have a lot to do outside and in the garage which isn't heated, so the nice weather this weekend will be great. Today I worked inside most of the day. We ordered new dinnerware and a good knife set and got most of it today so I had to clean out the old and wash and put away the new. There are still a couple of items arriving Monday, but if all goes well, I should be out on the lake trying out some ice fishing most of the afternoon, so the rest will have to wait until Monday evening.

I did get out and shoveled some snow; we didn't have much, maybe an inch or two that needed to get cleaned up, but with it being so cold, I put it off. It was more difficult to shovel, but I'd rather work a little harder when it's nice out than to freeze my but off shoveling snow in the arctic cold.

I know, not anything very exciting or entertaining, but that's the problem when the weather keeps you inside most of the time. Between Covid, quarantine, and the cold, I haven't gone anyplace or done anything for a couple of months. Well, I've done a little around the house, but nothing to inspire writing. Hopefully, with the warmer weather and being able to get outside, that will change.

Now, off to bed.
February 19, 2021 at 12:44am
February 19, 2021 at 12:44am
Today went pretty well. I wasn't tired like I have been, although I still have some trouble sleeping at night. I wasn't coughing as much last night but still had to take cough syrup before I went to bed and once during the night. I also woke up at four this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I tried for half an hour, then got up and took a sleep aid. It did the trick, I was soon sleeping sound and didn't wake until nearly eight-thirty. The downside is I felt groggy and out of it for a couple of hours after waking up.

Once I did get woke up I had a pretty productive day. I got the younger girl's room cleaned, even though she was supposed to clean it herself. When she looks for some of her stuff she left laying on the floor she'll understand why she should clean her room herself instead of leaving it for me to clean. I don't sort through the stuff, if it's dirty clothes, they go in the hamper, otherwise, it's all trash to me. I figure if it's on the floor and she can't bother herself to pick it up, she must not want it.

I also cooked up a pot of chili for supper. Well, I didn't actually cook it, my older daughter did. We worked together on it, but I did more of the prep cook and she did the serious cooking. It was nice having a break from cooking myself, and a lot more fun sharing the experience with her. She loves most of the things I cook and often states that she plans on fixing the same foods even after she moves out in a couple of years. So, I figure the best way for her to learn is to get cooking them now, with some assistance. We both enjoyed it and hopefully, she will join me and assist in more cooking. Oh, and the chili was a big hit, the entire pot was cleaned up in one sitting.

Now, time to wrap this up and head to bed.
February 17, 2021 at 11:30pm
February 17, 2021 at 11:30pm
I took a short break from blogging, a couple of days; or so I thought, turns out it's been five! I just haven't had much to write about and I've been extremely tired.

The tired part is from not sleeping the best at night. Some Covid leftovers that I'm really getting tired of. My sinuses are stuffy and when I lie down, I start coughing. I use cough syrup and it helps, but it only lasts for a few hours, then I wake up coughing and stuffed up again. I tried a different kind, one that takes care of the stuffy nose as well as the cough, but after a couple of nights, it had my stomach all tore up. Of course, it's winter in Minnesota so the air is dry, especially through this cold snap we've had for over a week now. Yesterday was the first day the thermometer read above 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

The cold is also the reason for not having a lot to write about. When you get up to a temperature of -33 degrees Fahrenheit it kind of prevents you from doing a whole lot of anything except stay inside. I think it also had a lot to do with me feeling so tired. Sure, not getting a good night of sleep is the number one reason, but lack of fresh air and being stuck in a stuffy, dry house doesn't generate a lot of energy or motivation. Now, we are seeing higher temperatures, still in the single digits, but hey, that feels good after double digits below zero with a wind making it feel even colder.

Now, it's still three degrees out, above zero! And, it's only supposed to drop a little below zero by morning, with a balmy high of ten degrees tomorrow. And it just keeps climbing through the week and by this weekend, we may get above freezing. That will provide me with more fresh air, and I may even get to go out ice fishing. Yes, I haven't gotten out yet, but I should be able to get a few outings in before the temperatures get too high and soften the ice.

Now, time to wrap things up and go try to sleep.
February 12, 2021 at 1:23pm
February 12, 2021 at 1:23pm
I didn't get in here to post an entry yesterday. I've been doing real well at blogging almost everyday but for one odd reason or another, I couldn't think of anything to blog about yesterday. It was one of those foggy-in-the-brain kinds of days, or would that be "daze". I know part of it stems from my taking a nap. I don't know why, but it seems if I lie down and sleep during the day, I have a difficult time waking all the way up after.

And, speaking of naps, I've been taking a lot of them. This week was the first week with the girls back in school, and I've spent most of it catching up on my sleep. I know I need the rest, but at the same time, I feel like I'm wasting my alone time. Not that I can do much with my time if I can't keep my eyes open. Why?

For one, I haven't been sleeping well at night. Yeah, I knew that was coming, I hear you loud and clear, if I stop sleeping during the day, I'll sleep better at night. I say, "Go lick a toad!" I'm tired and napping because I didn't sleep the night before, not the other way around. I know part of why I can't sleep well at night, too. As soon as I lie down, I get stuffed up, congested, and start coughing. It's been like this for the past week or better; ever since my bout with Covid.

I know, it makes no sense to me, either. I can't sleep at night, but if I lie down during the day, I fall into a deep and restful sleep. What's up with that? I have been trying different things to overcome this, cough syrups, decongestants, etc... I've had mixed results with them. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. I also have humidifiers going to combat the dry air, which helps a lot.

Last night, I was up pretty late, a result of sleeping so much yesterday, and was very tired when I went to bed. I took a different kind of cough syrup and fell right to sleep without waking up shortly after with the coughing. It was great! I also slept in until ten this morning, about eight hours of sleep last night. I feel good and should be able to sleep better tonight, if the cough medicine works again. Let's hope.
February 10, 2021 at 3:52pm
February 10, 2021 at 3:52pm
Another day home alone and I'm loving it. It's warmed up some, a nice -6 Fahrenheit with a light wind so it's feeling like -23. But the suns shining and the house blocks the wind so it's not too bad sitting out on the step for my smoke breaks. The temperature is going to drop through the afternoon and hit a -17 by midnight, and -23 degrees by morning. We won't see the temperature rise above zero until next week if the forecast is correct.

I was hoping to get out and try some ice fishing, something I have done very little of. I have gone out with my brother a few times in the past, but that was on shallow lakes in South Dakota, and neither of us really knew what we were doing. We did catch some fish, but more by luck than by knowing what to do. So, I decided I needed to get out and give it a try, learn how to catch some crappies and sunfish, and get some fresh air and exercise. I had a few items from the past but needed to purchase most of the stuff I needed. I ordered a bit here and there and now have everything I need to get out and fish.

But, then the schools shut down and I ended up playing teacher to my two daughters for distance learning. Next, we got exposed to Covid and my wife got sick. She was home for a few weeks, but since she was sick, I needed to be here to care for her and continue playing teacher. By the time she was feeling better, I was sick and we were all quarantined. Sure, once I was feeling better I could have gone out, but by then, my wife was back to work and the girls and I were still quarantined at home, so more distance learning. Besides, even after I felt better, I had little energy, I would do small things and need to rest, so I took it easy until I regained my strength.

Now I'm feeling better, have more energy, and should be out ice fishing since the girls are back in school this week. But, the old Dodge Ram doesn't do well in the cold. I have to take it in and have it serviced, and I want the transmission checked. When it's cold out, the transmission slips until it gets warmed up. I can use it, but I need to let it run for fifteen minutes or more before moving it. That was with temperatures down in the teens, so I'm not sure how it would go with it sub-zero now.

So, for now anyway, I'm enjoying a quiet and peaceful house, getting some stuff done around here, and spending a bit more time in WDC. Sunday night the girls were so excited they couldn't sleep, so I didn't get much either, so Monday I napped and got caught up on my sleep. Yesterday I moved some stuff around and got a few things done before school let out. Today I took a decongestant that made me tired, so again, a nice long winter's nap. It's funny, I feel fine, but my sinuses get a bit dry and stuffed up; not bad most days, just a stuffy nose. But, at night, it gets worse.

Once I lie down, it seems I stuff up so much I can't breathe through my nose and my throat gets itchy from the drainage and I end up coughing and can't sleep. I usually lie on my left side, but that's the worst. I found if I lie on my right side, I clear up a bit. Most nights that's enough, other nights I take a cough syrup before bed and do pretty good. But, since the temperature dropped so low, the air has gotten very dry inside the house and it's worse now. Bad enough that I continue to wake up through the night from coughing. Once I get up, it clears up in a few minutes, but as soon as I lie back down, the stuffiness and coughing return.

This morning I was tired from not sleeping well last night, so my wife suggested I try some Nyquil and see if it helps. I know, it's a night time medication, but I was tired and wanted to sleep more, so I took a shot, the one it comes with, and snuggled into bed. I fell asleep quickly and didn't wake up for four hours! If it works this good tonight, I have this problem solved. Also, I moved the humidifier and it seems to be doing a better job now, so not quite as dry in here. It seems to hold the humidity at about 35%. I also put on e in the bedroom to raise the humidity a bit in there at night.
February 9, 2021 at 11:32pm
February 9, 2021 at 11:32pm
Another nice day. No, not weather-wise, it's colder than cold here, and no end in sight. Right now, it's -9 Fahrenheit and it will drop even more through the night. But, the girls are back at school, the second day now, and I'm loving the peace and quiet of the days.

Yesterday was the first day I had the house to myself from 8:30 to 3:30 and guess what I did? I'm sure you had a lot of good guesses, but no, I didn't do much of anything. In fact, I slept most of the day. I got up and seen the girls off to the bus, then kissed my wife before she went to work. Then, sweet silence and the house all to myself. Well me and Hannah, my four-legged friend. But, with it being so cold, she didn't want to spend time outside unless absolutely necessary, and then just long enough to take care of business.

I spent a couple of hours online, then, being up late the night before, decided to lie down for a nice nap. I haven't been getting much for sleep, five or six hours, but never sound sleep straight through. So, I took my nap, woke up once, and used the bathroom, but didn't look at the clock, figuring it hadn't been that long since I had lied down. I dozed right back off and when I did wake, I thought I had napped for about an hour or maybe two. I had in fact slept most of the day, about four hours.

But, I felt better after, and even though I had slept that much, I still was tired last night and was in bed by 10:30. It was nice, my youngest was pretty worn out from school and was sleeping much earlier than I had expected. Normally, I'm doing good to get her to bed by 10:30, and then she reads for a half hour or more. Sunday night, being so excited to be returning to school, she didn't sleep much at all. She was up after 11:00, then read for a half-hour, and when I checked on her at midnight, she was still awake. Tonight, however, she fell asleep watching television sometime around 9:30 or thereabouts.

I did stay up today. I was kind of tired, but not enough to justify taking a nap. So, I got some things done around the house, spent some time online, and even got to do a little in WDC before the girls came home. Then it was time to visit with them for a bit before starting dinner. After dinner, I relaxed with my wife and we watched a movie, then she retired and I'm here, getting my blog done before midnight.

Next, it's off to bed so I can be up early again tomorrow. I don't have any plans, just kind of taking things as they come. I would like to get out ice fishing, but with it so cold and the wind chills, I don't want to run the truck. I'm hoping I can at least get out a few times before the season ends. I have some stuff to do in the garage, too, but since it's not heated, that will have to wait, as well.
February 8, 2021 at 12:32am
February 8, 2021 at 12:32am
A new week began today, the Super Bowl was played, and tomorrow the girls return to school. I'm hoping it will be a good week, and so far, it's starting out right. As for the Super Bowl, it didn't matter to me which team won, I'm not all that big on watching sports and didn't have a favored team picked out. For me, it was a pretty quiet day except for the youngest girl who is very excited about getting to return to school tomorrow.

Even with being so excited, she actually behaved pretty well, but she was pretty distracted. It's to be expected since she loves school and hasn't been to school since Thanksgiving break. They shut things down here because of the increase in Covid cases and the school was closed until mid-January. Unfortunately, a relative who was pretty sick decided to go visiting despite having Covid symptoms.

Within a couple of days, we were notified that he had gone into the hospital emergency room because he had gotten so sick and had been diagnosed with and tested positive for Covid. He was held overnight, treated with something, and sent home. But, the damage was done and my wife got sick, tested positive for Covid, and we all ended up quarantined through this weekend, but thankfully, we are all cleared now. It's sad, neither of the girls got sick or tested positive, but we still had to sit it out and wait.

Tomorrow will be the first day in almost three months that I have the house to myself for most of the day. The last time was early January when my wife ad the girls went to my mother-in-law's and got exposed to Covid. It was a nice break, but having my wife get sick and ending up under quarantine kind of ruined it. Now, I can get out ice fishing once it warms up a bit.

But, for the rest of this week and into early next week, we won't see the thermometer rise above negative numbers; it's extremely cold and dangerous windchills for the next few days. Maybe we will get a break, but the forecast looks like sub-zero for the next week. I may venture out, anyway. The problem isn't being out on the lake when it's this cold, I have a pop-up shelter and a nice little heater. No, the problem is the truck isn't working right, the transmission wants to slip when it's this cold unless I let it warm up for half an hour or better.

Mostly, I'm just eager to have the girls back in school and be done playing teacher for distance learning.
February 7, 2021 at 1:15am
February 7, 2021 at 1:15am
Well, I didn't even make it in here yesterday, it was just one of those days that left me exhausted, so instead of staying up to blog, I went to bed early.

Today was pretty trying as well, my wife went to the clinic because she's been having a sharp pain in her chest. It moves around some, so we were both pretty sure it wasn't her heart but wanted to get it checked out just in case. We were right, it wasn't her heart, in fact, just about everything checked out great. But, on the chest X-Ray, they found a spot.

They're convinced it's not cancer, but did a CAT Scan anyway, to be even more sure. Again, the answer was negative, not very likely anything to worry about. The thoughts are it's some scarring from her past, but since she just had Covid last month, they want to keep an eye on it. It could be a clot or just some inflammation from the virus.

So, she has to keep an eye on how it's feeling, do some breathing exercises, and go back in about three months from now and have it checked. If it's scarring, it should still show up the same, but they are thinking more on the lines of Covid and it should be smaller or possibly gone by then. But, if the pain continues or gets worse, she has to go back in and have more tests done.

Again, more problems just because her brother had to go out visiting when he was feeling very sick and in fact had Covid. Between the loss of work, the girls missing school, and my wife getting so sick, and now this. Sure, we would all like to tell him just how we think and feel about his actions, but the sad truth is, he would take pride in knowing he caused us problems and misery. He's that kind of person, living a miserable life, but instead of making changes to improve his life, he prefers to try and bring everyone around him down.

None of us are angry with him. The girls are a bit resentful, but I try and explain that is not the emotion to dwell on. I'm not going to lie to them and sugar coat it, but in being honest, I tell them that he's a very miserable person, so he wants to share his misery with others. They ask, "Why?"

I answer, "People like that don't have any happiness, so they try to steal someone, anyone, else. When they see they have brought misery to another, they don't see their own misery for a spell."
February 5, 2021 at 12:12am
February 5, 2021 at 12:12am
We've had a pretty mild winter so far for this part of the country, but all good things must end. We have gotten lucky in the snowstorms that have rumbled through, never getting more than a few inches, usually. We did get a bit later in the fall with some pretty chilly temperatures following the snow, but only for a week, then it was back to more summer-like temperatures.

We did get a couple of days of snow that left us with about seven or eight inches, but most of that melted. Most of the time, two or three inches is all we got. Temperatures also have stayed pretty nice with it just cold enough to finally get the lakes froze enough to ice fish. Even so, we are still having people break through from time to time. It just hasn't been cold enough for more than a night or two to make good ice and thick ice. To top it off, we get days warm enough to melt it some as well.

But, that ended yesterday. We started out above freezing but the temperature dropped through the day with midnight's low being today's high. It's dropped steadily through the day with it currently being one-degree Fahrenheit but feels like minus fifteen. It's supposed to warm up a couple of degrees before dropping below zero tomorrow night and by Monday morning we will wake to a balmy fifteen below zero. If the forecast holds true, we won't see the mercury above zero until Tuesday.

It's a good time to stay inside and read a good book, play some games, and watch some old movies. It's also a good time for the lakes to get a good, solid, and thick layer of ice, so when it warms up a bit, I can go out and finally get some ice fishing done since the girls will finally be back at school.

1,015 Entries · *Magnify*
Page of 51 · 20 per page   < >
Previous ... -1- 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next
© Copyright 2021 TJ likes Cadbury eggs & Peeps (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TJ likes Cadbury eggs & Peeps has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/item_id/1921220-Perpetual-Ruminations