*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3074969
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #2114176
A writing class teaching grammar, spelling, etc.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 8, 2017 at 4:07am
Edited: March 8, 2017 at 4:29am
Verb tense
Over the next few days we will discuss verb tense. There is more to it than meets the eye. For example let's say i want to express how a lady named Liz takes her children to school by car everyday. Rather than saying "Liz takes her children to school by car every day" I can simply say "Liz drives her children to school every day" and the meaning is just as clear. As a former editor I can tell you the fewer words you use to get your point across the better. Choosing the proper verb makes all the difference. As we will learn over the next several days verbs come in various shapes and sizes. Essentially they fall into two major categories. These are active verbs and passive verbs.

Sentences themselves are either active or passive depending on whether the verb acts on something or is acted on by something. In active sentences the thing doing the action is the subject. In passive sentences the thing receiving the action is the subject.

Active: Shirley is riding the horse.

Passive: The horse is being rode by Shirley.

Your assignment is to write five active sentences and five passive sentences, identifying which are which.

MarvinDSchrebe

Signature for nominees of the 10th annual Quill Awards
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Verb tense · 03-08-17 4:07am
by Chris Breva

<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Chris Breva.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3074969