*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/2150785-The-doctors-keep-you-in-the-dark-about-the-tran
by Wassel
Rated: GC · Interactive · Adult · #1974478
Experimental brain transplant surgery saves either your life, or someone very close.
This choice: The doctors keep you in the dark about the transplant procedure?  •  Go Back...
Chapter #13

The doctors keep you in the dark about the tran...

    by: Wassel
**Previous Chapter**  

There was a long pause while you looked from one doctor to the next, waiting for them to answer. Neither one of them appearing all that forthcoming. In fact, Kerry was now nudging at his companion and indicating for him to take over. The two of them entering then into a short, hushed conversation that you couldn't actually hear. Turning towards you again once they were done.

"I'm sorry about that, Tim," the older, paler doctor said with an awkward smile, "Dr. Kerry was being a bit ....over dramatic there." Much to your continued confusion. "It's nothing for you to worry yourself about. He was meaning complications more in the sense of insurance forms that still need to be filled out, paperwork... That sort of thing. Everything else is perfectly fine I assure you."

"It... It is? You mean I'm really okay?" you asked him, needing to be sure. "My family and friends too?" Being somewhat thrown by this apparent u-turn. As if it wasn't actually what Kerry was about to tell you.

Much to your continued relief, Saunders assured you that everyone else was fine."In fact you were all incredibly lucky. Most of them came out of it with barely a scratch on them. It's quite remarkable really."

This causing you to let out another sigh. The fact that they were all right being the most important thing.

Speaking up once again, his demeanor having now changed to match the other doctor, Kerry smiled, "So much so that you should be able to leave in a matter of hours. Once we run a few more tests. Nothing major. Just a few word games, pattern recognition, that sort of thing. Just to make sure that nobody is returning home with a concussion."

Being true to his word, the two doctors assisted you in sitting upright in the bed and began their various little tests. The foreboding tone they'd briefly carried, as well as that rather insane notion of a 'brain transplant' now being all but forgotten. Replaced instead with bright colors and large print words. Child like games to test both your memory and your hand eye coordination. The doctors not seeming at all surprised by the results. Kerry announced before he was even half way through, "I think that'll do. You seem as sharp as ever, Tim. We'd best get on with the others now." Appearing rather keen to leave.

And so they did. Telling you that you should get some rest for a while before hurrying out the door.

Thankfully, the numbness you'd felt in your body was gradually starting to disappear. Which was a good thing too, cause you really did need a piss. Pulling yourself up out of the bed and lurching your way towards the small bathroom in the corner. Thinking about how lucky you all were to still be alive. Considering how many people had been stuffed inside your mother's minivan at the time. It apparently having been completely totaled. And here you all were with little more than a few scratches between you. ...Lucky doesn't even cover it!


* * * *


A few hours later, after being reunited with everyone, you were discharged as promised and allowed to return home. Splitting off as you exited the hospital and said your goodbyes. You and the rest of your family all clambering into a taxi. Nobody really having a clear idea of what had actually happened, due to it being somewhat of a blur. Though your parents did agree that the two doctors seemed to be acting a little strange at times. Spending a heck of a lot more time with one person in particular. Especially when it came to those memory tests. Causing your father to wonder "...what exactly was that all about? I mean... How many of those silly questions do they really need to ask? And for an entire hour?!"

"Yeah," you agreed. It seeming strange right enough. "It only took me like ten minutes and they didn't even bother to finish."

"Probably just wanting to be thorough," your mother posed. "Though, you're right. It did seem a little over the top. We all could have been home by now if not for that. Why do you think they were so interested in..."
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Wassel (UN: wassel29 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wassel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/2150785-The-doctors-keep-you-in-the-dark-about-the-tran