*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318113-A-Nation-Moves-Forth
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Inspirational · #1318113
Something I just felt like writing to reflect on 9-11
Note: This was written in September 2007

Six years...Six long years since the world as we knew it was turned completely upside down. September 11th, 2001 will forever be remembered as the day that the United States of America received one of the biggest slaps in the face in its history. The visions of those planes crashing, the fire, the smoke, the chaos, and the utter disbelief in the eyes of the people of New York, and around the country, still remain clear in our memories.

That terrorist act was the most sickening thing I ever had the displeasure of witnessing. To say I was shocked would be the biggest of understatements. I know our country isn't on the Christmas card list of quite a few nations, but those actions directed toward us could only have been conceived within the confines of Hell itself.

America picked itself up, dusted itself off, and continued on. They wanted our attention! They got it.  We currently fight in a war that should have ended long ago. We have made strides in the fight against terrorists, but still have a long way to go. Our military continues its ongoing quest to erase the threats to our society, and to protect our precious freedom.

However, how many more men and women have to give their life for that purpose? They leave to defend our nation and flag, only to return in a box with that very flag draped over it. Am I thankful they were out there fighting for us? Absolutely. Their commitment and bravery allow me to walk around freely, express myself, and take advantage of other rights and privileges that make being a U.S citizen so great. It is because of them that this nation will continue to rise up. It saddens me that they had to be put in such a position because of people having hateful, angry, and violent intentions toward this great country.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to explain to young children why there is one chair at the dinner table that may never be filled again. It is my hope this war comes to an end soon. Enough is enough. When will it be time to say "The war is over, it's time to go home?" When can we breathe easy again? When will the hatred stop? When will freedom truly be free? Answers to these questions may never be found, and that is truly sad.

My thanks goes out to the military, police, fire fighters, emergency rescue workers, and all others that dealt with this craziness. All of you deserve the utmost respect. Your sheer determination to do everything in your power to help others during this tragedy is highly appreciated. My love, prayers and thoughts go to the victims and their families. Your loved ones will never be forgotten. May their souls rest in eternal peace.

While the eagle soars high above the land of the free, and home of the brave, let us take a moment to reflect on that moment six years ago....and give thanks for today. God Bless!
© Copyright 2007 Mike~Dolphins Fan 4 Life (mike3l6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1318113-A-Nation-Moves-Forth