*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430192-Getting-engaged-to-Sherri
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Personal · #1430192
I didn't want to get married again, but I found I couldn't live without my true love.
Having been divorced twice, I didn't think I would want to find out if the third time was a charm.

I was more than happy to go through life without any major commitments. In fact, after the pain of two failed marriages, all I wanted was strictly physical relationships. No complications, no strings attached.

When I first met Sherri, I sure wasn't looking for marriage. We saw each other several times, then before long, things were getting physical.

It was the perfect situation. Sherri knew my stance on marriage. She wasn't thrilled with that, but she wanted to be with me and didn't make a big issue out of it.

After a while, we got into a routine where she slept over on Sunday nights and spent part of Monday night with me. Since I work the other five nights, that was about all we could see each other, but that was fine with me.

We went on this way for about four years, but all of a sudden, things changed.

One night, we were on the couch watching a rerun of "Roseanne" on Nickelodeon. Before long, we were making out and I ended up laying on top of her. (NOTE: We were fully clothed, so don't get any ideas.)

The next thing I knew, the following words came out of my mouth: "Have you ever thought about spending the rest of your life with me?"

The next thing I knew, the following words came out of her mouth: "Are you feeling OK?"

For the first time in a few years, I was feeling OK. I knew at that moment that there was no doubt I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Sherri.

So I went about buying an engagement ring. I found one that was perfect. A diamond in a cathedral setting. The perfect ring to show how much I loved her.

So on Mother's Day, I decided I would propose to her. Sherri has a 21-year-old son, so I figured I had to get her a gift for the occasion.

It was Mother's Day night and Sherri got to the apartment late. I made sure before she got there that I hid the ring on the end table next to the couch so I would be ready for the moment.

She sat on the couch and I gave her her card first, then reached over and grabbed the case with the ring.

I opened the case and simply asked her, "Will you marry me?" Her answer was, "You know I'll say yes."

Two years later, we're still engaged. God only knows when and if we'll ever get married, but I know our hearts and souls will be connected forever. I don't need a marriage license to know that.
© Copyright 2008 Sherris' man (tshea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430192-Getting-engaged-to-Sherri