*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459452-PrideHumility
by Donté
Rated: 18+ · Essay · Opinion · #1459452
An essay about Pride and Humility
In this essay I want to discuss Pride and Humility and how they relate to society. First, let me give you a brief definition of what Pride is:

"Pride is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to give compliments to others though they may be deserving of them, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God)"


In today's superficial, beauty obsessed society, it's hard to meet people who don't think of themselves as gods. It seems that everywhere you turn you hear people bragging about how pretty or beautiful they are. They seem to be obsessed with how pretty they are. They hold their beauty as their highest ideal. There is another word for these types of people. Arrogant. It's also called being conceited or being vain. We've all encountered people who are full of themselves.They tend to think that they are the best looking thing walking God's green earth. They say it's just confidence, but it's not confidence at all. It really shows that they have a low self-esteem.

Those who are truly confident and who have healthy self-esteems don't have to walk around bragging about how pretty or how good-looking they are. Pride and arrogance just doesn't mean that one brags about how beautiful or good-looking they are, they also tend to brag and boast about other things. Like how much money they have, the clothes they have, the type of car they drive, etc etc. Quite frankly one's confidence shouldn't be based off how good they look, a person's confidence should come from their Character and personality. It should come from their morals and values.

Pride is what gives people their narcissistic attitudes. This is what gives them the impression that they are above everyone else and that they are a gift to mankind. These people also are annoying to be around, and most of the time the focal point of any conversation you have with them is well....themselves. These types of people are in need of a rude awakening and seriously need to be brought back down to earth.



Now that we've gotten a better understanding of what Pride is, let me now give you a definition of the Pride's opposite, Humility.

"Humility is the defining characteristic of an unpretentious and modest person, someone who does not think that he or she is better or more important than others.Modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of respect. Giving credit where credit is due; not unfairly glorifying one's own self".


Given that in today's society a lot of people seem to be full of themselves, it can be rare to find people who show Humility. But luckily there are people who are Humble. These are people who should be admired. They are the people who don't think they're better than others. They're the people who don't brag about how beautiful they are and how much they have (as far as materials are concerned). Even if they are beautiful, they don't always brag about it. They're the people who aren't afraid to give others a compliment. They are also selfless people. They share what they have with others. They don't have big and out of control ego's. I personally know people like this. And I must tell you that they are a real pleasure to be around. They're Humble people and they deserve much credit for having this Virtue in a time where everyone seems to be "gone off" themselves.

*Love God Always*

Donté
© Copyright 2008 Donté (donte1986 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459452-PrideHumility