*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1650695-I-Dont-Know-How
Rated: E · Essay · Friendship · #1650695
Have you ever wondered how people become friends? I have!
I Don’t Know How





         Sometimes class is very boring for me. I try really hard to concentrate, but it just doesn’t work sometimes. I was sitting there in class one day, next to one of my best friends, whom I had only met this year, when I started thinking about how we had become friends. For some odd reason, I actually could not think of one moment that really made us friends. The only thing I can remember is that she sat beside me in health class on the first day of school.  We talked some, but not about anything really important.

         For the rest of the day, I pondered about this. I don’t think that it was because our birthday’s were on the same day, or that we do almost everything the same way and find the very same things that we do hilarious. Sometimes things that happened to us both were just freaky!

“Look at this book that I bought yesterday for English Class!” I told her one day.

Her eyes became wide with disbelief as she pulled the same book out of her bag and said, “No way, me too!”

“Whoa, that’s weird! I was so lucky because the guy that works there said I bought the last one,” I replied.

         She shook her head, “No, he told me I bought the last one.”

         “Yeah, but did you go to Barnes and Noble to buy it?”

         “Yeah!”

         “What time?” I asked.

         “Six.”

         “Me too!”

         “Wait, did you go to Valley View or Tanglewood?”

         “I went to Valley View.”

         “Oh, well I went to Tanglewood,” she told me.

         Little things like that tend to freak us out because of the fact that we were born on the same day and we’re always in the same place at the same time.  We hardly ever disagree on anything, we both have very strong opinions, and we both love being sarcastic about certain things.

         I understand why we’re friends, but I don’t understand how we’re friends. Now that I really think about it, I don’t know how I became friends with most of the people I know. Unless I became friends with them through sports, I don’t know for sure what made us friends. It really surprises me how many people that I look at and think, “Wow, I’ll never like them!” But I end up being best friends with them! Most of my close friends are completely different from me, other than the one that I met this year. I think I’ve figured out why that is, too. I think I’m friends with people that are totally different than me because they balance out things that I lack in. If I didn’t have my friends, I would be lost!

         I guess I looked lost all day because my teachers kept asking me if I understood the lesson. I was too preoccupied looking at every one of my friends in the room and trying to figure out how we became friends. I couldn’t even remember how I became friends with my best friend! I know that we met in elementary school, but how? What really makes two people friends? Is it being just alike on another, like my new friend this year? Or is it being complete opposites, like my best friend?

         What I’ve come to realize is that one thing doesn’t make two people become friends; it’s all of the little things that count. Finding true friends, like mine, comes at random times in random places. Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other’s gold!

© Copyright 2010 Tara Times (cullencrazay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1650695-I-Dont-Know-How