*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778685-Lost
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1778685
Daily Flash Fiction contest entry : "clock, cloud, compass" are the prompt. 300 word limit
Rose was lost.

She had only been in the woods for an hour, but had somehow managed to stray from the path and was now wandering aimlessly. Taking her compass from her backpack, she was horrified to find the needle spinning aimlessly.

"What do I do now?" she muttered. Looking up to the clouds, hoping for a sign, she fought back the urge to cry. "I have to be strong, logical. I just need to pick a direction and walk in a straight line until I find a way out of the woods."

Feeling a little silly for almost panicking, she closed her eyes and spun around in a circle. Stopping, she opened her eyes and began walking in the direction she was now facing.

An hour later, as darkness descended, she began to feel the stirrings of panic again. She was still surrounded by nothing but trees and the woods were strangely silent. No birds, no rustling of small animals. She pulled her cellphone out of her pocket. No bars, of course, but the clock showed it to be almost eight p.m.

Frightened, she began to run. Faster and faster, her heart racing, she ran like death itself was after her.

"OW!" she bellowed, pain rocketing up her leg as she tried to stop herself from falling. But, the tree limb won the battle, taking her down as efficiently as a pro-wrestler.

As she lay on the ground, writhing in pain, she heard a twig snap nearby.

"Hello? Is someone there? Help me, please!"

The last thing she saw was a large, hairy ape-like creature. The last thing she felt was her stomach being torn open. The last thing she heard was munching. Wet, slobbery munching.


Word Count: 287
© Copyright 2011 Grandma Penguin needs help (mspenguin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778685-Lost