*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782370-Like-a-Simon-and-Garfunkel-Song
Rated: E · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1782370
About a Guy Who's Like a Rock
"Aiden, you are such a rock,” said Callie as she placed her wine glass back on the coffee table. “Sometimes I just can’t stand it.”

“I’m a what?”

“A rock. You know like in the Simon and Garfunkel song. ‘I am a rock. I am an island.’”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re a hard shell. You won’t let anyone in. Not even me.” There was an unidentifiable emotion in her voice, but Aiden could tell she was upset. Aiden sipped his wine.

“What am I supposed to do? I’m afraid of getting close to someone and then getting hurt again. It’s been so difficult since Molly left.”

“Don’t bring her up again. She’s gone, and you have to forget about her. It’s past time that you moved on.”

“How? How am I supposed to do that?”

“How about going out tonight with your friends or have you forgotten about us?”

“No one would want to hang out with me. I’m too much of a downer.”

“That’s where you’re wrong. We’re all here for you.”

“Who? Who’s here for me?”

“Paul and Heather and James and, well... me.”

The gravity of what she meant suddenly dawned on him. All of their interactions for the past year had meant one thing, but he had been so blinded by Molly and then Molly’s departure that he hadn’t seen it.

He picked up the wine glass and almost downed the contents before he realized how odd that action would seem. “Are you guys free tonight?” he said unsteadily. He was shocked, but he couldn’t betray anything to Callie.

“Well, that’s actually why I came over. We were going to hang out at the pub tonight. Paul’s bringing his new girlfriend. We thought you might need to get out. Take a break from work and yourself.”

Aiden smiled. There was so much truth in those words. “What time are we meeting?”

Callie looked at her watch. “Well, now.”

Aiden stood up. “I’ll take your glass.”

Callie smiled at Aiden. Aiden made his way to the small apartment kitchen as Callie stood up to get her coat from the rack next to the door.

When Aiden exited the kitchen, Callie was standing in front of the bay windows, admiring the Seattle skyline. “This city is really pretty as the sun goes down.”

Aiden joined her by the window. They stood in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the peace of the moment and atmosphere.

“We better get going,” Callie suddenly reminded him.

“Right. Let me get my coat.”

Callie followed Aiden to the door. As they exited the apartment, Aiden pondered on their conversation and his revelation. Walking out into the balmy air that night, he felt like things were going to get a whole lot better.



461 words
© Copyright 2011 earthlover (earthlover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782370-Like-a-Simon-and-Garfunkel-Song