*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1826688-What-is-with-the-name
Rated: E · Short Story · Pets · #1826688
This story is about man's best friend, my dog Buzzard and how he came to live with me.
Seeing those creepy buzzards at the end of the road again, my house is out in the middle of nowhere.  Actually it is a common site, but this time there was something slightly moving in the middle of these crazy buzzards.

It appeared to be a puppy, which looked like it had been hit by a car. He must have been laying there for some time to attract the buzzards and near death, or dead.

Shouting at the buzzards, they held their ground quite well and didn’t want to give it up.  They gathered closer around the puppy.  They are the ugliest creatures, and being brave wasn’t one of my stronger points, there were more of them, than me.  So shouting again, flailing my arms, walking closer, and shouted some more, they finally backed off.  Most of the time I would have left nature alone, and let the Buzzards finish their job.

My heart pounded looking at the puppy that was lying in a puddle of blood. Without movement now, not even a whimper.  He was brown and black, clearly a mutt, a tiny little thing.  Picking the puppy up without even a thought, and rushing him to my veterinarian. We were both covered in blood, when they rushed out and grabbed the puppy, right out of my arm, stating he was still alive but barely.

My love for animals took over; do you think the puppy would live?  Calm down let us give him a closer look and we will let you know something in a few minutes.

This little puppy was very unattractive, sort of looked like a Doberman with the markings, but had a long tail and longer hair.  The Veterinarian, guessed him to be around 4 months old. 

The Veterinarian, asked me to step aside, telling me this isn’t your dog, is it?  Relaying that to be true, my soft heart has called me to his side.  He smiled and told me that he couldn’t promise anything; basically it was up to our little friend here, it was all up to him if he decided to live.  But he is in good hands now, okay!  Really no attachment to the puppy but my heart was still breaking. This little guy was strong, emergency surgery was performed to repair damage to his small intestines. He was in total care of his new Vet now.  He made it through the surgery, after leaving a piece of me behind, went home.

For the next couple of days, I paced the floor.  And many calls to the Vets office left me feeling like a crazy woman.  He was still unconscious, and attached to IV’s and it was looking like he wouldn’t come around. Talking to myself, telling myself I tried, I did all I could do.  But there was still an empty feeling.

Three long days later he decided to live, he was standing up, even wagging his tail.  They called me at work, to tell me, excited wasn’t the word, really excited even though I didn’t know this little guy.

Everything happens for a reason, coming home to find him, saving him, giving him a new lease on life, all happened for a reason.

One week after surgery the little ugly no named pup was ready to go home with me. Picking him up and expecting a bill that I would spend the rest of my life paying off.  Only to find out the Vet didn’t charge anything, blessings come in all sizes.

Put the puppy in the car, looked at him and pondered over a name for him.  He was coming home to be with many other dogs with crazy names, like Shecarra, Miss Beezley, and Jellybean.  And a slew of Cats with name that are over top as well, Possum, Baby Harley, Spat, Bobbie etc.  All of my animals are rescued, from my job or have wandered in here and adopted us.

At that moment decided that Buzzard would be his name.  So Buzzard it was.  Buzzard healed fast, and fell in love with all the animals here on the farm, including the cats.

Buzzard is around 5, now a healthy, happy and loving dog.  He is still unattractive, kind of clumsy, he has become my guard dog, and he would protect me if needed.  Most of the time he is quiet laid back and shy.

On his yearly visit to the vet the one that saved his life, it is actually as if Buzzard knows him, besides me and my daughter he really isn’t too happy to see anyone. But when he sees the vet, happy he is.

This is my love out loud moment for the Vet that cared enough to save a puppy’s life, and didn’t charge me a dime.  There are some good and caring people still left in this crazy world.

Buzzard is a great pet family member, and he is a blessing in himself, and truly a wonderful dog.  Hoping to spend many more years with him, he is wonderful company.

© Copyright 2011 jjandedt (jjandedt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1826688-What-is-with-the-name