Lesson #4: When Commas should NOT be used
Yes, I have a diploma! There are six lessons to Winnie's Comma Sense Class. Some of them I cannot show... because I have the rules shown on them to make me understand why a comma should be there and why it shouldn't be.
~These are Winnie's rules and hers alone that she uses in class.~
LESSON #4 - EXERCISE & WRITING ASSIGNMENT
1. Leah began drawing a horse with spots,  and her friend decided to draw a giraffe.
2. Unless it's raining cats and dogs,  our picnic will stay scheduled at the park on Saturday.
3. My dog is a loyal,  protective German Shepherd.
4. I make different-colored  popcorn balls for Christmas.
5. Leah, who hates homework,  surprisingly,  does really well in all her subjects.
6. Joe Biden  at the vice-presidential debates  smiled and laughed a lot.
7. The wind  that became unbearably strong along the coastline  destroyed many beach homes.
8. Gettysburg has many haunting tales of the Jenny Wade House,  East Cemetery Hill,  and "The Grove.
9. As a popular and well respected president,  Abraham Lincoln led the Union to victory in the Civil War and emancipated the South's African-American slaves.
10. Gail saw her daughter  riding the Palomino around the corral.
11. Growing up, a gory Halloween costume or a haunted house could scare the daylights out of me. However,  I sometimes wondered if it wasn't my over-active imagination at play here.
11. I love to write children's stories that teach a lesson. So [11x] I plan ahead on what would be a great learning experience that would help them in life.
12. Oh my goodness,  there are a pack of coyotes near the sheep.
13. I was reminded to bring my pumpkin pie  before I come over for Thanksgiving dinner.
14. Remarkably,  I didn't get squeamish at the beginning scene of "Ghost Ship."
15. Leah enthusiastically  did her homework before going outside to play.
16. Halloween two weeks away,  the children had fun playing in a pile of leaves.
17. I, [17x] too, [17x] love watching the parade as it passes by.
18. Janice spread out the tablecloth  and placed the plates in their rightful positions.
19. Writing and learning about commas on WDC  has improved my whole outlook on bettering myself.
20. My decision was to drive through the night,  I cannot wait to reach home. WRONG
20. My decision was to drive through the night; I cannot wait to reach home.