*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044780-NYC
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Contest Entry · #2044780
Entry for the 48 hr contest based on "What A Wonderful World"
NYC

My stomach is flittering at the prospect of what I am about to do. Not through uncertainty, through excitement. As I sit in Thomas Paine Park, opposite the City Hall in Manhattan, I am astonished that such a colourful, peaceful haven exists in the middle of this busy metropolis. I see trees of green, red roses too. Flowers and shrubs of every hue are standing proudly to attention. It is as though they have come into bloom in celebration of David and me. This thought makes me feel dizzy with anticipation.

My arms and face are prickling with heat and the warmth penetrates deep inside me. Normally, I would feel claustrophobic, desperate for air, on breezeless days like this. Not today, though. I feel as though the air is hugging me tightly, congratulating me on my happy day. It is a generous, protective warmth and I raise my eyes to say thank you to the Heavens. I see skies of blue; unbroken, endless cornflour. When I turn back to David it looks as though the sky has spilled over into his eyes. They are clear and honest and I know they will always protect me.

For a moment, there is no-one else in Manhattan. No-one else in the world. It is just him and me. But we are interrupted by an overly friendly pigeon, who has chosen to join us on our bench. I believe he may have been sent to remind me of England. As the world comes back into focus, I realise how busy the park is. Some people, like us, are getting married, some just enjoying the weather. I notice the low hum of traffic, horns blasting impatience and a lone policewoman’s whistle. People are shouting their frustrations from car windows and I realise this is the busiest, noisiest place I have ever set foot. Even so, it is magical. Exhaust fumes are filtering through the trees and bushes, mingling with the flowers’ perfume and rising with the blistering air.

As we emerge from the park and wait to cross the road to our wedding, I marvel at the contrast between the concrete limits of the city and the luscious peacefulness of the park. This is a great city, I think to myself, what a wonderful world!

382 words
© Copyright 2015 Choconut ~ House Targaryen (purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044780-NYC