*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108433-Not-Broken-Just-You
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2108433
Haunting nightmares and gentle voices.
Not Broken, Just You by Angel Rose

Parker gasps as he jolts up from his sleep, his eyes teary and fearful.

He takes ragged breaths as he rocks back and forth in a fetal position, waking Persephone lying beside him.

"Beloved?"

Parker continues his rocking, lost in the horrible memories he tries to keep buried. Persephone realizes this and gently sets a hand on his shoulder, startling Parker out of his trance to look towards her, fear still present in his eyes. As soon as he realizes it's Persephone he wraps his arms around her in a hug and begins crying. Persephone strokes his head gently and whispers gentle comforting words to him as she allows him to cry. Once Parker's cries quiet down to soft whimpers, Persephone gently lifts his head up, her heart breaking as she sees his face. His beautiful bluish violet eyes she loves so much are broken, and his cheeks are stained with tears. Parker sniffles softly.

"S-Sephone..."

Persephone touches her forehead to his.

"I'm here, Christopher. It's alright."

Parker whimpers, sniffling again.

"T-the nightmare..."

"I know but it was only a nightmare. You're safe."

Persephone hugs him.

Parker nods slightly, starting to get up.

"I-I've got to go to the bathroom."

"Alright. I'll make some tea for us."

Parker smiles slightly before walking into the bathroom.

"Poor Christopher. That's the third nightmare this week. I wish there was something I could do to keep them at bay." Persephone thinks to herself, preparing the tea.

"That's the third nightmare this week. It's the same nightmare over and over. It's never different..." Parker lets the thought go as he begins washing his hands.

Persephone gently places her and Parker's mugs down to pour the hot tea in each along with a spoonful of honey.

Parker looks in the mirror, frowning "I can't believe I cried so much. That's so childish of me. I'm supposed to be an adult and handle these nightmares like an adult would."

Persephone smiles to herself as she pours Parker's favorite treat into a small bowl just as he comes into the kitchen with his head hanging.

"I'm so sorry for waking you, my love."

"No, it's okay. I don't mind it."

"I'm... I'm also sorry for crying. It was childish of me."

"No, it's alright. Remember? I told you a long time ago that it's okay to cry. It's not childish."

Parker looks down at his feet "That's right. Sorry."

Persephone lifts his head back up to look into his eyes.

"There's no need to apologize so much either."

Parker looks away.

"A-alright..."

Persephone smiles softly.

"I still can't believe it's already been a whole year since our wedding." She tiptoes to wrap her arms around his neck in a hug.

Parker smiles faintly.

"I still can't believe you said yes."

Persephone giggles.

"Why wouldn't I say yes?"

"B-because I'm damaged. I'm... Broken."

"You may seem like that to the rest of the world... But to me you're not."

"What... What am I to you then?"

"You're perfect, because you're you." Persephone gives him a quick but loving kiss.

"Y-you actually love me for being... Myself?" Parker's tail sways gently from side to side.

"Yes, and getting to see who you really are is such a wonderful blessing to me." She whispers in his ear, wrapping her arms around his neck again.

Parker's eyes fill with tears as he gives Persephone a long gentle kiss.

"Those words you just spoke I've... I've never heard them before."

Persephone's face is lush with color as she breaks the kiss to nuzzle into his neck. Parker nuzzles back, his ears drooped shyly.

"I'm... I'm so happy they came from you."

"I'm so happy to have met you." She says, caressing his cheek. Parker's brow and ears rose, "I'm so happy I met you, too." With another sweet kiss they sit down for their tea and cherries, enjoying each other's company until the rising sun sends them back to bed, and into a loving sleep.
© Copyright 2017 The Ink Maiden~ (lovelesswriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108433-Not-Broken-Just-You