*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144746-Doubt
Rated: E · Essay · Contest Entry · #2144746
A Biblical essay about doubt for the Wrriter's Cramp January 1, 2018
 Doubt  (E)
A Biblical essay about doubt for the Wrriter's Cramp January 1, 2018
#2144746 by Chris Breva


480 Words

William Shakespeare said “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.”

I am one who also has a lot of self-doubt. I have come to realize however that for me personally there is a cure for my doubt. I find comfort in my faith in Jesus Christ. While I may turn the judges of the Writer’s Cramp off by saying that, particularly if they are not Christian, I am merely expressing how I personally deal with doubt. My way may not work for everybody and that is perfectly acceptable. The God I serve does not go around twisting anybody’s arm saying “Believe in me or I will do this, this, or that.”

He does want us to serve Him but He will not force anybody to do so against their will. I dealt with a lot of doubt early in my Christian faith and found that it often stopped me from taking chances I should have taken. One area where I suffered much doubt was believing that my life was too much of a wreck for me to witness for my Lord. I thought I had to be as pure as the driven snow before I could even begin to let anybody know I was a Christian. I often beat myself over the head with my doubt. I would be talking to somebody that I knew was hungry for the Lord. Their need would nearly palpable but I would keep my mouth shut for fear they would see right through me and know that I was just as guilty of wrong doing as they were. I finally came to realize that we are all sinners as long as we are in this flesh. We’re human and to be human means to be a sinner. The only person who was ever perfect was Jesus and we murdered Him for it! One day I was reading the book of Galatians, which is one of the New Testament epistles. In it I found a scripture in which the Apostle Paul said he had confronted the Apostle Peter because Peter had committed a sinful act, which brought disgrace upon the church. I realized then that even the Apostles, who wrote most of the New Testament were merely sinners saved by grace. I no longer worry about making Jesus look like a fool by acknowledging that a sinner like me serves Him. I do my best not to screw up but I make mistakes every day. When I do I merely ask my Father to forgive me, try not to make the same mistakes, and move forward. Doubt? Yes I still have doubt but I find comfort in scripture and know that I’m merely human. I’m a sinner saved by grace.

One scripture I get great comfort from is Romans 12: 2 which says “Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will - his good, pleasing, and perfect will.”

When I renew my mind through prayer and Bible study I find that I don’t have as many nagging doubts. When I do have doubts the Spirit of God urges me to go ahead and proclaim the gospel and to allow Him to worry about whether or not I stumble and look foolish. The world stands ready to judge because the world has this mistaken belief that Christians are to be perfect and sinless. If I allow the world’s mistaken beliefs stop me from proclaiming the gospel I allow Satan to win. Peter tells us that Satan “…prowls like a roaring lion seeking somebody to devour.”

I stay vigilant by grounding myself with prayer and Bible study.

Tied for First Place - Writer's Cramp January 2, 2018
© Copyright 2018 Chris Breva (marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144746-Doubt