*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221150-Crisis-management
by Sumojo
Rated: E · Essay · Contest · #2221150
Write an essay on managing a crisis
Words 598

What constitutes a crisis? A crisis can sneak up on us, be something we didn’t see coming, although the symptoms may have been there all the time. Or it could be like a bolt from the blue scenario. It might be a personal crisis or a family one, a time of intense difficulty or danger, or even a disaster which affects the entire world. The Coronavirus is unique in that respect, it is rare that so many millions of people are thrown together to face the same crisis at the same time, other than during a World War. It has been interesting too, to observe the differences in tackling the problem. Eventually a protocol for action will arise out of it which will be followed if ever a similar crisis arises in the future. However one thing is sure, a crisis always causes fear, anxiety and emotional discomfort.


Fear and panic are often the first human reactions to a crisis situation and we seek immediate relief, searching desperately for anyway to minimise the discomfort. The way we react initially to a crisis will affect the outcome. Often the first thought is to look for assistance, to search for someone to fix the problem as soon as possible. It may be the police, fire brigade or social services but whoever it is that takes charge, the stress factor diminishes several fold. Once a plan is implemented the panic subsides until the status quo is restored. (It is often at that juncture people criticise the proposed action and say they could have done better.) Crisis usually calls for excellent stress management and that can be better supplied by someone who isn’t directly impacted, someone who takes the emotion out of the scenario.



On a more personal level my family, like most people, have had to face times of crisis. One which I recall needed instant attention. It was a house fire and In that instance, there was no time to stand around and think, it called for immediate action from the fire brigade. Once the initial danger was over, after the fire was safely put out, the crisis took a different turn. It was still a crisis but needed a fresh approach and more long term planning. Gaining control became the next important step. Evaluation of the damage. Was the house still liveable? If so, what could we do to make it more so? We removed the worst of the damaged furniture, cleaned down the walls and paintwork and as a necessity purchased a hot plate to cook on. It was important to remain optimistic, to see the brighter side without denying reality.


Ideally promote self reliance, praise each other and encourage the strengths of each affected individual. In a crisis situation be sure to reassure others that they will get through this time of crisis if they all pull together. Give daily reminders of love and appreciation. Healthy families are clear and direct about feelings, they express commitment and affection. Above all, try to avoid the blame game. The fire of which I spoke of earlier, resulted from my leaving a pan on the stove. This was over fifty years ago, and I still bear the emotional scars of being blamed.


In summary, a crisis is something which requires immediate attention, it can’t be ignored. Whatever the crisis may be, financial, personal or family, the same principles apply. Get to the truth and deal with it, accept reality and focus on the next step. Prioritise, communicate your needs and always, always, reach out and ask for help.













© Copyright 2020 Sumojo (sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2221150-Crisis-management