*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234471-The-Little-Blue-Planet
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2234471
Sci-fi short story about UFO's and why they would bother to come here. No happy endings.
They have been visiting the little blue planet for millennia. The reason they do is simple...water, or the hydrogen they extract from it, is in abundance, thereby enabling them to refuel their crafts. A truck stop, so to speak.

The native inhabitants, whilst having a basic technology, are easy for the visitors to evade. Sightings of incoming or exiting craft do attract some attention, but those in power know to play down these UFO sightings, much to the amusement of the interstellar travellers, as they often play "catch me if you can" with the most advanced of their crafts.

But, the little blue planet these alien beings see as a resting place, as much as a place to refuel, has changed. The human population has risen unchecked to a critical level. This, along with their use of fossil fuels, with little thought towards their, and the planets future, is, for the visitors, becoming a problem.

Should they simply abandon this place and leave the humans to their fate? Or, perhaps they should help things along? After all, there isn't much time for the humans to turn things around. And to some, it makes sense to eradicate the humans before the situation they have caused gets beyond their ability to turn around. And so, on planets far away, humankind's very existence is being considered by those who will decide the fate of the ignorant.

Some call for restraint...pleading they themselves were once as barbaric, and that the humans deserve a chance to sort out their problems before intervention should occur.

Others say it is too late...that the inhabitants have already gone beyond the point, and intervention would be a merciful way to deal with the problem. Debate rages as the two sides accuse each other of having their own agendas.

Greed and longing...finally having the little blue planet all to themselves. No more hiding at the bottom of the oceans, so as not to reveal themselves, which is banned under interstellar law whilst the native inhabitants are deemed too primitive.

And the bleeding hearts...crying of the loss of diversity to the scientific community. Studying this species, as violent and destructive as they are, may benefit all in the future.

Then, the decision is made. And, as the craft sets off on its mission, there is a degree of sadness. Knowing what must be done, does not make it any easier to accept what will be done.

And as the craft arrives at the little blue planet to release its payload on the unsuspecting billions, plans are already underway for resorts, spas, and of course, zoos...so examples of already captured humans, can be placed on display. Exhibits that will surely be the main attractions for the new owners of this beautiful little blue planet.



© Copyright 2020 Dr Gonzo (neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234471-The-Little-Blue-Planet