*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234743-Reemi
Rated: E · Draft · Folklore · #2234743
A world building idea that I'm trying to flesh out
//Sorry about the formatting, I'm working on fixing it//
Reemi
Planet with a balanced day night cycle (roughly 12 earth hours for each)
Single main continent with smaller islands surrounding it, polar ice sheets in the north and the south. City-States are centered around the coastline along the equator with the interior of the main continent being mostly arid with pockets of forest surrounding natural springs. Mountainous regions are mainly in the northern part of the continent. The coastal region that is mainly inhabited has two major rivers flowing through it with a few tributaries that spread out leading to a fertile area for farming1.
Minaus
The moon of Reemi, Minaus is the homeworld of the original NightWalker culture and possibly a current branch of NightWalkers that have survived on the surface. Minaus is lower gravity than Reemi and has a thinner atmosphere, leading to difficulties for the NightWalkers that first escaped to the surface. Little now is known of the surface and what was passed down in stories and myths has been heavily mythologized and exaggerated.

DayWalkers
         Description
         Original inhabitants of the planet, physiologically similar to humans, with some minor differences. Generally few have fair skin as 12 hours of sunlight cause significant tanning/generally darker skin. Hair is generally brown/black with maybe some highlights from sun bleaching.
         Culture
         The DayWalkers began as an agricultural society that evolved into city-states around the coast {of the main continent of the planet. The city states occasionally war with one another. At the current time the daywalker city's kings all meet as a council to solve issues before war breaks out. Because of the hot sun and oceans being the only of the major constants the early peoples worshiped the sun (Sepa) and the sea (Hazu) as gods.
          Sepa
          Sun God, god of the sun, sky, power, and strength. Originally worshipped through burning of certain incenses during prayer, and sacrificing of small livestock during festivals.
          Hazu
         Ocean/River Goddess, goddess of ocean and waterways, growth, and intelligence. Originally worshipped by burning different incenses during prayer, and priests covering themselves in painted patterns and bathing away the paint in waterways to bless it.
          Myths and Stories
         Why do spiders get into corners? - Hazu, being a goddess of growth and intelligence wanted a creature that could create its own means of capturing food that wasn't as simple as the creatures that Sepa created. Hazu ended up making the spider, a creature that could spin traps to capture their prey. While she was happy with her creation, she was sad to see that the sun's harsh rays would burn up the spider's thin webbing, even after making the thread stronger and thicker, it was clear to see that the spider web was not designed for the outdoors. She then created a bigger spider, one that would spin webs strong enough to survive the sun and wind. Content with her work she went to return to the realm of the gods only to hear a small cry from her original spiders who were saddened to find that they had no place in the world. To placate her creation she placed the smaller weaker spiders into the high corners of the temple, leading to the spiders making their homes in the high corners of rooms for all time.
         Sepa's creation of man- Sepa the god of the sun had spent a few hundred years, along with Hazu, creating the creatures of Reemi and after that great task was done he was not satisfied. Sepa wanted to create something that would be strong and would seek power, as he thought it would be interesting to watch this new creation learn about its world. He then created giant people who more closely resembled the gods, they were functionally immortal and huge. However these creatures had no intelligence and became two huge war tribes that fought for decades. Sepa wasn't pleased with his creation, it had plenty of desire for power and strength but no way of attaining it other than brute force. Angered with the giants, Sepa called on Hazu to flood the rivers and sea past their banks to wipe clean his mistake. Hazu, realizing that this would likely destroy all of the other work they had done. Instead Hazu took the giants and granted them some of her intelligence and pulled some of their strength out. These giants became the first humans and have founded the first human cities on top of the ruins of the giants' camp.
          History
         The peoples of this planet began farming along the tributaries and rivers of the main continent, raising livestock and grains on the fertile areas. As these fertile areas gathered more people, cities formed and soon kings/lords arose from these cities.2 These city states warred for power and access to different materials but eventually peace and trade allowed for these areas to prosper and grow. DayWalkers eventually colonized the major islands around them.
          Behaviour
         Hardworking and hardy people, who pride themselves on strength and their stamina for working. Trustworthy and calm but can be distrusting of the NightWalkers for their lack of worship of the sun. Their speech is normally quick and to the point with flowery language being reserved for kings and lords, or for priests when speaking to the gods. DayWalkers of the main continent cities have different accents based on the city state they are from with those from the island colonies having a more unified accent due to large amounts of inter-trade.
          Food
         DayWalkers are omnivorous who primarily farm for their food, lots of grain and shelf stable foods are grown in and around the river deltas in the region. Meat is eaten mainly by the rich and powerful in society with meat being shared for ceremonial purposes, however small livestock like chickens and goats are eaten by all peoples. Due to a high concentration of seaweed and fish that is easily caught in the island colonies more is eaten there than inland areas that primarily eat grains and livestock.
NightWalkers
         Description
          Newcomers to the planet, fleeing here from a planet further out in the system after an asteroid strike made it functionally uninhabitable. Effectively genderless as they have incredibly long lifespans and reproduce asexually once upon death. Tall and generally thin with fair almost translucent skin due to lack of sunlight with white/gray hair.
          Culture
         NightWalkers being incredibly long lived often set plans into motion decades in advance, meaning all political movements in their world happen very slowly with decisive winners and losers. NightWalker society is often tight knit with normally a council of elder NightWalkers (those of 200+ planetary orbits //roughly the same number of earth years//) Groups normally have a district of the city they live in that is primarily NightWalkers with many living in other districts, in decreasing density the further away from the main district. Many NightWalkers are religious with a very small subset worshipping the gods of the DayWalker religion. The NightWalkers worship the endless void they travelled through during their escape from the moon. The focus of their worship is of the space between the stars which was believed to be a vast sea of energy called Ya-et and the creator deity was meant to be sleeping in the void awaiting their time to return.
          Lam-det
         God of the sky and the keeper of the sea of Ya-et as well as a creator deity. Genderless as the people who worship them, Lam-det is believed to be sleeping among the stars and will return at the end of the world. 3 Prayer to Lam-det involves deep meditation with special incenses.
          Myths and Stories
         Lam-det's creation of the worlds - Lam-det was created out of the void and came into the sea of Ya-et, being an all knowing god, they began to form the sun and the planet of Reemi and its moon Minaus out of the sea of Ya-et. After the formation of the worlds, Lam-det fell into a deep slumber and began to dream and from their dreams burst forth the NightWalkers and all the creatures of Minaus.
         Why do NightWalkers prefer the dark?- It is believed that the sea of Ya-et is the source of life for all creatures and that the NightWalkers were destined to travel into the sea to find Lam-det in their time of need. Because of this, a NightWalker was thought to be stronger in the darkness as the sea of Ya-et would come closer to the ground and touch the NightWalkers. While no actual evidence of NightWalkers being stronger physically in the dark, the story holds in the culture and stories of the NightWalkers.
          History
         NightWalkers immigrated from the planet's moon, Minaus around 500 years ago and have since made peace with the DayWalkers. An asteroid strike 550 years ago caused the NightWalker advanced civilization to collapse within a few decades and several refugee ships crash landed on the planet's surface. After a few years of struggling to survive in the increased gravity and increased density of the atmosphere. Not to mention, several more years worth of struggling against the new diets, diseases and a couple of wars with the DayWalker populations the NightWalker society joined where they could in DayWalker societies. NightWalkers, due to their long lifespans have created very stable and long lived societies that grew alongside the DayWalker civilization bringing new technologies that had been commonplace on the moon but were decades ahead of anything the DayWalkers had. However for much of their first decades on the planet they were seen as magical creatures from another world who brought magical weapons and items from another realm.
         Little is remembered of how the moon was before the asteroid destroyed their home, while the technology that brought enhanced life for all peoples, it was a fraction of what was used on Minaus.
          Behaviour
         NightWalkers are quiet and reserved, frowning upon loud speech and harsh tones. NightWalkers have an affinity for crafting work and are normally highly intelligent if a bit off putting by their speech which is slightly stilted. Many NightWalkers only speak Minae, the native tongue of Minaus, but most speak Minae and Rema, the native tongue of the DayWalkers. Being a long lived species the NightWalkers have a different lifecycle, where they grow almost continuously until they reach around 50 Reemian years (roughly the same number of Minae years). In this phase of their life young NightWalkers eat almost twice the amount of food that they will eat for the rest of their lives. After this first stage of life is over their metabolism slows almost to a crawl and they stop growing completely, rarely eating for the next 100-150 years. Before dying the now elderly NightWalker will begin its reproductive processes, where the NightWalker will start eating similar to their early life and give birth to their young dying shortly after.
          Food
         NightWalkers are primarily vegetarians, who after integrating into DayWalker society have taken to eating the leaves from grain plants as the main part of their diets. To supplement this they often will eat nuts and fruit for extra nutrients that are not present in the grain leaves.
Do to this, they are seen by the DayWalkers as both helpful as they minimize the waste that is created from farming, and as lesser than the DayWalkers for eating what is essentially waste. Some seeds and crop plants were brought with the refugees, and while they grew slower than they had on Minaus several species of crop plants had taken root. These plants were a mix of grain, fruits, and a few vegetables, with the most popular being a gourd like vegetable with a thick green rind and a soft pulpy purplish interior.10
Conflicts
11
         The Original Landing of the NightWalkers (Age of Night yr. 0/Age of Sepa yr. 1200) 4
         The Escape from Minaus is one of the main defining moments for the NightWalkers, the exodus from their homeworld to the harsh land below. After landing on the surface of Reemi they quickly tried to make peace with the comparably primitive DayWalkers who viewed them as magical creatures from the stars. What technology had survived the escape was seen as magical artifacts and the NightWalkers, with their odd appearance were viewed as wizards who sought to corrupt the surface world the same way they had corrupted themselves.5 After many years of hardship for the NightWalkers adapting to life on the surface, they began to assimilate into DayWalker society operating in the nighttime to keep away from the burning sunlight.
          War of Sepa's Temple (Age of Sepa yr 50)
         After the building of the Temple of Sepa outside of the city of Talena, there were several years of peace as patronage to the Temple increased and the priests of Sepa spread the word of their god. Soon the first missionaries of Sepa came to the gates of Corna and began to try to convert the people to their religion. While many of the people, who worshipped an older god since lost to history6, converted to the Sepain faith. However many of the citizens of Talena saw an opportunity to make money on the new patrons to the Temple of Sepa, this gouging of the converts and the distrust of the new religion {by the holdouts in Corna sparked an all out war between the two cities. After an attack on Talena by Cornian forces and a five month chase back along the river, the Talenain army laid siege to Corna and destroyed a large part of the city. While the war was long ago Corna never fully recovered its power and was a vassal state to Talena for 300 years.7
          Island Freedom Fight (Age of Night yr. 323/ Age of Sepa yr. 1523)
         The islands surrounding the main continent have been constantly inhabited for centuries with the first colonies being founded in AoS yr 886, over 600 years before they would sever ties with the mainland cities. The islands were colonized primarily by cities closer to the coastline as they had better sea access. Soon these colonies became very prosperous because of good fishing areas and high concentrations of metals needed for smithing found in caves on the largest island in the south. Due to the amount of money made in the islands flowing in the coastal cities they began to have considerable power and wanted to expand out, starting a series of small campaigns inland that while they certainly gained more land to rule, not much world power was moved in their favor.
         After almost 4 centuries of coastal cities drawing most of their income from the islands a lot of the minerals and metals were depleted from the mines and the fishing areas had been overfished to the point of a few species being no longer found in those waters. Soon the coastal cities demanded more shipments of material from their colonies, who were understandably upset at the demands considering they had no food or materials for their own families let alone to send back to the mainlanders. Pirates began roaming the waters, attacking shipping vessels headed to the mainland and stealing the supplies and materials. At first the merchants complained of the thefts to the coastal governments, but without any way of knowing where the pirates came from or where they went the navies couldn't do anything about it. Once it came to light that the islanders were supporting the pirates and reaping the benefits of the thefts, a full revolution was in swing. The battles were divisive in the favor of the islanders as their skills on the water were unparalleled, and the islands were free from their coastal colonizers. Almost a century and a half of strife and unrest the islands began to govern themselves, and soon had formed a council of island leaders that would eventually be welcomed on the cities council to help better govern all peoples.
         Map














Foot-Notes

1.
Foodstuffs are similar to earth cause I don't wanna figure that out.
2.
Early Mesopatiman society inspiration
3.
This belief was held even before the asteroid strike and caused some part of the population to abandon hope and begin praying for Lam-det's return and were either killed upon the strike or were left behind on the moon when the main part of the NightWalkers escaped.

4.
The Age of Night is the beginning of the NightWalker's time on Reemi after the exodus of Minaus; it corresponds to the 1200th year in the Age of Sepa. The Age of Sepa is the second age of DayWalker history with the first age being the Age of Dawn which lasted 1000 years until the building of the Temple of Sepa.
5.
This view of the NightWalkers is from the perspective of the DayWalkers who had never seen anything like them before. In the following decades this belief slowly lost its hold on the populace, but a few zealots maintain that NightWalker organs (chiefly the heart, and the liver) will grant an extended lifespan.

6.
The older god referred to here is a god of farming and growth that would later be subsumed into the at the time minor god of Hazu which gave her more prominence in the religion. While the original god has been lost to history the name was uncovered by NightWalker researchers in 450(AoN) and is believed to be Ruki.

7.
The Talenain hold on Corna was released in 367(AoS) giving the people of Corna autonomy for the first time in over 300 years. However most of the economic power was still held in Talena for several more centuries, even after the people of Corna fully separated themselves with their oppressors to the south, the Landing of the NightWalkers causing huge power struggles and economic upheavals caused Corna to lose even more power on the world wide political scale.

8.
The race of giants that Sepa created in this story were immortal in that they didn't age or get sick but could be killed in combat. Different tellings of this story also make the giants vaguely magical, what powers they possessed are not specified.

9.
The NightWalker creation myth does not specify if they knew of the DayWalkers before they left Minaus. From their stories it was believed that Reemi was a world that had life but no intelligent life existed. The NightWalkers didn't know that the DayWalkers existed as Minaus was held in a geosynchronous orbit with Reemi, facing away from the side of the continent that was the home of the DayWalkers.

10.
The gourd, called a Hen-yo in Minae and tastes like a Reemian melon with a slight salty after-taste that leaves the mouth dry and wanting more.

11.
Each of the wars/conflicts listed in the Conflicts section was recorded by the victor so all of the stories listed here reflect the ideas of the victorious party. While the histories are slightly distorted, unbiased reports from before the landing of the NightWalkers are few and far between. The introduction of NightWalkers cleaned up a lot of errors from historical and academic writings, given their long lifespans and long memories they make great historians especially considering that they are removed from many of the petty squabbles that befall DayWalker society.
         

© Copyright 2020 Colalas (colalas546 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234743-Reemi