*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2272030-Three-Years
Rated: E · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #2272030
The narrator commits a crime and gets away with it. Now they fight their inner demons.
         It’s been three years. During the first year, you worry a lot and be anxious all the time. Just a slight rustle of wind over your shoulder feels like a tap on the back and someone whispering in your ear, ‘It’s over. I know what you did.’
         During the second year, your heart starts to ease a little bit, but only momentarily. Soon you are troubled by every gaze and glance from strangers. You start avoiding public places because you can’t meet anyone’s eyes, afraid, they’ll peep inside you and discover your secret.
         So, you lock yourself up during the third year. Go out only in case of an unavoidable emergency. When you think you’re safe between the four walls your mind will explode with voices. You wouldn’t be able to look yourself in the mirror, scared of your own reflection; you’d sleep less and dream more, and a day comes when you’d no longer be able to distinguish between the dream and reality.
         Don’t worry! A year is enough for you to recover. You’ll finally overcome your fears. By the end of the third year, you’ll have learned to deal with everything–the gazes of people, the voices inside your head, and your endless dreams.
One day, with optimism and courage, you step out of your house, ready to live a normal life. That’s when your phone beeps and you receive a text message: I KNOW YOUR SECRET.

© Copyright 2022 dhruvkumar (dhruvkumar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2272030-Three-Years