*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856173-Alas-its-been-a-long-time
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#856173 added August 2, 2015 at 1:16am
Restrictions: None
Alas its been a long time
It has been a long time and a lot has happened. Let's start out by saying I juggled two jobs along with getting up at 5am for two weeks and cooked breakfast for about 100+ people. Not alone but as part of a four person crew. I loved doing it but having to leave there and go to sometimes two jobs in a day, getting home at 10:30 or 11:00pm  was exhausting.
By the middle of the month I found out one of the jobs had the total hours of all employees cut so there were a couple of weeks I worked only 3-4 hours for them Now I have no hours for them for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how that job will pan out.

To further add to my aging process I received my first SS check. I'm officially OLD! I can't sign up for medicare yet so I still have that to look forward to.

Here was the kicker of the month. I've been pondering, outlining and plotting a story that had me in its grips but I struggled with the plot and where to start. It just didn't seem to be working. One girl gave me a pack of index cards and said write it all out and we'll figure it out from there.
As I journeyed to Los Angeles for a quick vacation with my husband, I wrote out my cards. After coming home and still plotting on the cards, I attended a Charater Building workshop.  Afterwards I was leaving with another writer and talking about my problem. Another writer stopped to listen and offer advice.
Here is what I learned: My interpretation of the culture of my characters was not realistic. They would never do those things.
The visibility of the MC was too open when he would want to be invisible and not antagonize the neighbors. He'd never let his feelings show.
One thing after another in my story wouldn't work because in that culture they would not act that way.  I finally had to admit I had a fairy tale with no fairy.
I told her thanks and that I was going to shelve the story, I had two stories going here, or more. I wanted the reader to find all the characters interconnected. I had that whole thing down pat. I decided that culture story didn't work I better drop it. I thought I'd done the research, but only part way. I'm not afraid to admit when something isn't going to work. I'd rather spend my time on something that works instead of wasting time on trying to make it work.

I'm off on my historical story. I don't know what genre as it isn't a real romance. For the lack of a better title its a little bit mystery. Its about a young Chinese girl's growth to womanhood in 1911. She discovers the real life of the Chinese in the mining towns and how opium is really used and expoited. She finds a man that protects her even when she thinks she doesn't need it and treats her like a woman, not paid to do so. She gets the story of her lifetime and a job to match. The two kiss and part, promise to someday meet if its divine will.

I'm plotting again..


© Copyright 2015 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856173-Alas-its-been-a-long-time