*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Creative fun in
the palm of your hand.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/2140378-Science-Fiction-Short-Story-Contest
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #2140378
A contest inspired by the serious need for more good sci-fi

Banner Created by AE Wilcox, Sponsored by eyestar-

In my brief time here, I've come to really enjoy writing.com: the people, the stories, the contests, and the kind reviewers. However, I have really been missing out on some good short science fiction and an incentive to get involved with a community of writers who also enjoy it. To the end of inspiring both, I've decided to host a Science Fiction Short Story Contest.

The rules are simple:

Write a short story inspired by the prompt that is of less than 2000 words.
I will pay 15,000 (updated) Gift Points for the best submissions and an awardicon (as per recent request - I'm open to discussion about adjusting the prize).
Post in the forum with BITEM only (check out "Newbie Hyperlinking 101 - Bitem Format [E]).
I will judge entries starting on the 1st of each month, and provide (hopefully) thoughtful reviews for all submissions.
May the best sentient being win!

Contest Reopened for October:

James slept fitfully and woke early, still troubled by dreams he could no longer recall. He sat slowly in his bed and cleared his throat. It was a little scratchy and his chest felt heavy too: he hoped he wasn't coming down with a cold, but that would suit the weather to a T. Clothes, a shower, and coffee improved his mood, but only a little: something bothered him, though he failed to put his finger on it.

Brow furrowed, James made his way to his car with his head tilted slightly downward, and that's when he saw them. Mushrooms surrounded his driveway, each at least a foot high, and they spread outward for dozens of meters into the yard. He took a deep breath in surprise and irritation - his lawn was his pride and joy - and found himself coughing it out almost as quickly. He must be allergic to the damned mushroom spores! Well, he had some fungicide he could use. Holding his shirt over his mouth, he retreated to his garage door, screwed the spray bottle to his hose, and turned on the water. In fifteen minutes' time, he'd soaked half the yard in the stuff. Satisfied, he replaced the bottle on its shelf and was on his way to work at the hardware store.

Ten long hours later, James arrived back at his driveway, ready for a glass of wine and a bowl full of takeout Chinese. His jaw dropped: the mushrooms were still there, but there were three times and many, each three times as high as they were this morning. That was when the drone of the news on the radio made its way into his attention, "Yes, we still don't know what they really are, but the mushrooms are toxic as hell and spreading fast. Poison doesn't work, and even fire just seems to spread the spores faster. The department of agriculture is still looking into it, but anyone who sees these mushrooms is advised to avoid them at all costs, and report them immediately. If you're exposed, seek medical help immediately - these things grow anywhere, even in the human body."

James just sat there, staring at the radio, as the interviewer replied, "And how should citizens report these mushrooms?"

"The CDC and the department of argiculture have each set up a website..."

The prompt for October is fungus! Whether harmless-looking little mushrooms or the parasite spores, bring your stories about fungus - and have them ready for Halloween!

The prompt for September was "Harvest"! In honor of the upcoming changing of the seasons, I'd like to dedicate this edition of the contest to those gathering tomatoes, corn, apples, pumpkins, schmeat - or perhaps something far darker in import.
"A Lost Harvest [13+]

September Entries

STATIC
New World Harvest  (18+)
A Science Fiction Short Story Contest Entry
#2232801 by Cerberus Mastiff!

Trekol, The Alien Who Wanted To Be Human  (13+)
Come find out what Trekol dreamed up and how it changed a whole world.
#2232151 by Bob's Skull Sweat

STATIC
Harvest  (13+)
Contest entry: Sci-fi. Where has all the goo gone?
#2232128 by D. Reed Whittaker

STATIC
Gardening tricks  (13+)
Urban farming done right
#2232560 by mediocrity 💀

Entrance Fee  (13+)
Azura is in charge of the seed that will gain humans a place at the Conference of Worlds.
#2233265 by Satmetery

STATIC
Mercy in the Wastes  (18+)
The sky is on fire again, scarlet at daybreak, and Jeneca has somewhere to be.
#2233422 by Roseille ♥

STATIC
An Alien's Love  (E)
A story of love of an Alien from distant space
#2210850 by proton69

STATIC
Where the grass grew tall [238] 960words  (18+)
Our Space Cadet begs to visit a planet that's hostile to humans. Good thing he isn't!
#2233582 by Kåre Enga, P.O. 22, Blogville

STATIC
The Taming of the Groo  (13+)
Sometimes you have to go to extremes to save a friend
#2233641 by Ned

August Entry
 Even the Heat Will Affect Us Too  (18+)
A whole lot of races use a sun as a power source. But this race is different.
#2230800 by PureSciFiPlus

July Winner!
STATIC
Climate Refugees  (18+)
When Earth becomes inhospitable to the human race, where do we go?
#2227481 by Emily Scissorhands

July Entries: Radiation Edition
"Climate Refugees [18+]
"Sunburnt [E]

Judging

Donations:

48K GPs: Jeffhans -- Thanks for your support!
10K GPs + banner sponsorship: eyestar~ -- Thanks so much for the support and for linking me up with a E Weatherwax is bizzzie . The banner is awesome!
50K GPs - Trick-r-Trinketing Sum1 -- Thank you to a sci-fi fan!
385K GPs - Anonymous. Thanks so much for supporting the contest!
50K GPS - Bob's Skull Sweat Thank you so much for supporting the continuation of the contest!
50K GPS - D. Reed Whittaker Thanks so much for your donation!
10K GPS - Kellie Burke Thanks for your support!
15K+ GPS - brokenpen Thanks so much!
50K GPS - Nix~🎀 9 years of WdC joy~ I much appreciate the support!

(Current Sci-FI Contest account: ~470K, so good for some time - will consider upping the prize next month)

Contest Archives

Sig for nominees
306 Posts · *Magnify*
Page of 13 · per page   < >
by Ned · 09-30-20 @ 4:38 pm
by Kåre Enga, P.O. 22, Blogville · 09-30-20 @ 4:53 am
by Roseille ♥ · 09-28-20 @ 3:45 am
by Satmetery · 09-27-20 @ 12:16 am
by mediocrity 💀 · 09-25-20 @ 10:50 am
by Cerberus Mastiff! · 09-20-20 @ 12:54 pm
by Bob's Skull Sweat · 09-13-20 @ 5:16 am
by D. Reed Whittaker · 09-12-20 @ 4:01 pm
by PureSciFiPlus · 08-30-20 @ 5:00 am
by Emily Scissorhands · 07-21-20 @ 8:26 pm
by Queen NormaGreenJean Punkins · 07-18-20 @ 9:32 pm

306 Posts · *Magnify*
Page of 13 · per page   < >
Previous ... -1- 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/2140378-Science-Fiction-Short-Story-Contest