*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787376-Visiting-Germany
by Lani
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1455359
My musings, my rambles and I welcome you.
#787376 added March 1, 2021 at 3:23pm
Restrictions: None
Visiting Germany
Tell us about the farthest you've ever traveled from home.





a German castle






I've traveled to many places and this prompt is lovely because I have spent the day thinking and reliving some of my adventures.





When I lived at home in the Midwest, the furthest I ventured was Germany. I went to visit family and friends. Youth hostels and bed & breakfasts were the order of the day. We spent two weeks traveling the country seeing King Ludwig's castles. It was fun and funny. I wanted to stop at every interesting ruin or castle like structure. My cousins kept telling me that these were 'nothing but rocks,' and I would see more interesting stuff later. I did like the mad king's palaces but the ruins were just as cool. America is only 200 and some change years old. We have nothing like European history. I felt like I got to touch real history. Our history is yesterday in comparison.





German is not a language in that I excel. In fact, I have never attempted it before this trip. Attempt would be the operative word. It made for some interesting misunderstandings is all I'm going to say. I will say that I didn't think my table manners were that different. I did noted that my cousins didn't change their fork hand after cutting their food.





My youngest cousin asked me why I changed hands with my fork after cutting my meat.


"Because I eat with my right hand," I replied.


"But your fork is already in your hand?"


"The wrong hand," I said.


A couple of days later over beers, I learned I was the star anecdote in "Learning English" class.





It wasn't all fluff and beer. We went to Check point Charlie at the Berlin wall (Yes, it's been a few years since my trip.) and Dachau. The concentration camp visit had a profound effect on me. I became anxious and upset. I felt an overwhelming sadness. We left sooner than my friends want to because I couldn't handle it. Did I pick up on something?  I do not believe in ghosts. I do believe in the power of the mind and suggestion. And I believe that Jesus can heal all hurts. I also agree with Shakespeare:  'There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' I don't know it all.





I haven't been back to Germany but I would like to revisit. With East and West together, there is more country to explore. And of course see the cousins.



© Copyright 2021 Lani (UN: lani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787376-Visiting-Germany